Hot climate uniforms

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Re: Hot climate uniforms

Postby Frogsmile » 09 Feb 2017 23:06

susancammas wrote:Thanks Frogsmile - I'll (smugly) forward to her the expert's opinion!
It always pays to consult those who really know!
Susan

'Expert' sits uncomfortably as I am really only relaying information from my library of references, but I do enjoy helping to make sure that our army's history is not forgotten.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 10 Feb 2017 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby susancammas » 10 Feb 2017 10:29

Good morning Frogsmile

I've been thinking about the badge problem once again .... sorry!

You said:
"I enclose some coloured images that you might find interesting, as well as another RHA soldier with a gun 'Layer' badge on his right upper arm, as per the mounted soldier in the uppermost, post-card picture."

Thanks for the interesting photos (particularly the contemporary one!) but I'm not quite sure what you are referring to concerning a gun "Layer" badge? What is a "Layer" and was sit in connection with the attached photo?

Many thanks
Susan
Attachments
CJT RHA jacket close up of sleeve for VWF.jpg
CJT RHA jacket close up of sleeve for VWF.jpg (128.91 KiB) Viewed 37 times
susancammas
Participating Member

Postby Frogsmile » 10 Feb 2017 16:04

Hello Susan, the Layer badge was a cursive letter L within a wreath of laurels. The gun 'layer' aligned the gun before firing using a sighting device that originally was quite rudimentary, but that later was invariably an optical scope with a sight pattern inscribed on the lens. His position in the gun's detachment (crew) was usually on the left side of the breech, where on later guns he was provided with a small seat.
A sergeant commanded each gun and his position was immediately at the rear and slightly to one side of the trail, where he could receive orders from the section commander (a lieutenant) and oversee the gun, his men and, if using direct fire, the target.
If you carry out a search in this section of the forum using just the word 'layer' you might well find other posts of interest. All guns required a layer, not just those of the RHA.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby susancammas » 10 Feb 2017 17:36

Many thanks Frogsmile for your very full answer.

I am very aware of how easy it is to draw hasty conclusions etc. and accuracy for me is VERY important because I am writing a little biography of my grandfather for my grandchildren!

So, the badge in the previous photo (something that looks like a gun positioned above the sergeant's stripes) doesn't seem to match your description of the "Layer badge". What could it be???
Have you, by any chance, in your fantastic Library, got another picture of the "Layer badge"? The one on the postcard you posted earlier unfortunately didn't show up very well.

I'll do as you suggest and search the forum with the word "layer".

Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Postby Frogsmile » 10 Feb 2017 17:48

susancammas wrote:Many thanks Frogsmile for your very full answer.

I am very aware of how easy it is to draw hasty conclusions etc. and accuracy for me is VERY important because I am writing a little biography of my grandfather for my grandchildren!

So, the badge in the previous photo (something that looks like a gun positioned above the sergeant's stripes) doesn't seem to match your description of the "Layer badge". What could it be???
Have you, by any chance, in your fantastic Library, got another picture of the "Layer badge"? The one on the postcard you posted earlier unfortunately didn't show up very well.

I'll do as you suggest and search the forum with the word "layer".

Susan

Susan, I thought it was clear from various earlier posts that the gun above your GF 3-stripes is merely the standard artillery badge (an indicator of role) worn by all British artillery sergeants, staff sergeants and warrant officers, not just those in the RHA. I am sorry if that was not apparent. It was worn above stripes, but below crowns and, in the case of 3rd class master gunners, was the only badge worn and on the lower cuff.

I will post a Layer badge in the next few days if that helps, but I think you will find I already have in past posts in the forum referring to gun layers.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 17 Mar 2017 19:17, edited 2 times in total.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Frogsmile » 17 Mar 2017 18:39

Here is the (gun) layer's badge, as promised Susan.
Attachments
C022073thumb.jpg
C022073thumb.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 18 times
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Previous

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals