Looking for any information on uniform, year, etc. Thanks

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Re: Looking for any information on uniform, year, etc. Than

Postby emehegan » 23 Oct 2016 02:23

I was digging deeper through the family papers and was amazed to come across my great-grandmother's diaries during her time in Persia. There are 4 books to go through but I'm pretty hopeful that she mentioned this officer somewhere in there. And thanks for the suggestion of trying the London Gazette. That will be next if I don't find anything in the diaries. I will let you all know if I find anything interesting.
emehegan

Postby Frogsmile » 24 Oct 2016 10:41

emehegan wrote:I was digging deeper through the family papers and was amazed to come across my great-grandmother's diaries during her time in Persia. There are 4 books to go through but I'm pretty hopeful that she mentioned this officer somewhere in there. And thanks for the suggestion of trying the London Gazette. That will be next if I don't find anything in the diaries. I will let you all know if I find anything interesting.

I suspect that you may well find mention of him. A factor to consider, is that 1901 was around the height of the so-called 'Great Game' (a kind of proto Cold War) when Britain was very nervous of potential Russian incursions into India through Afghanistan. The great game referred to the mutual spying that took place by both sides via various means, including military attaches, travellers and merchants within Persia and Afghanistan, not to mention paid informants and spies from among the native populace. It seems very likely to me that your mystery officer would have been involved in such activity, even if on the periphery.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 26 Feb 2017 17:54, edited 3 times in total.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby emehegan » 24 Oct 2016 22:32

Interesting that you should mention the Russians. I have already come across several references to Russians including a General Kossagovsky and M. Grube.

"M. Grube, Head of the Russian Bank in Teheran is entirely a different type of man. He is apparently most communicative but I suspect him of affecting a frankness of manner in order to encourage confessions from others."

Also, she mentions a Miss Stone several times who was being held captive and the US Consul General Dickinson negotiating for her release in Sophia. Some of their current events don't sound all that different from our current events.
emehegan

Postby Frogsmile » 26 Oct 2016 10:48

emehegan wrote:Interesting that you should mention the Russians. I have already come across several references to Russians including a General Kossagovsky and M. Grube.

"M. Grube, Head of the Russian Bank in Teheran is entirely a different type of man. He is apparently most communicative but I suspect him of affecting a frankness of manner in order to encourage confessions from others."

Also, she mentions a Miss Stone several times who was being held captive and the US Consul General Dickinson negotiating for her release in Sophia. Some of their current events don't sound all that different from our current events.

That's interesting, do please let us know if you discover the officer's name. The great game became much less of a focus after 1904 when the Russians were decisively humbled by the Japanese, especially at sea.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 27 Oct 2016 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby emehegan » 26 Oct 2016 17:55

I went through the diaries and it turned out that there were two books and two facsimile copies, so not four books total. My great-grandmother was writing some interesting details about some of the people they came in contact with but no one that jumped out at me as the officer. Then about 2/3 of the way through, my great-grandfather took over the writing of the diary and he focused entirely on a hunting excursion he went on, so not much help there. On to his autobiography to see if there's anything there.
emehegan

Postby Frogsmile » 26 Feb 2017 17:57

Did you ever find anything else?
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Previous

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals