AZW period frock info

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

AZW period frock info

Postby Army aviation » 15 Jan 2016 21:26

If this has been asked before I do apologise in advance,but I was looking at the plates on the newish osprey Brit infantryman vs Zulu warrior book, and wondered why some regiments such as the Buffs 2/3 had facing coloured collars (buff)and scarlet cuffs, and other regiments such as the 24th had facing coloured collars AND cuffs on their scarlet frocks and tunics? why the disparity or was it just some difference in regiments?
"......to hold our ground........"
Army aviation

Re: AZW period frock info

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Jan 2017 19:45

Army aviation wrote:If this has been asked before I do apologise in advance,but I was looking at the plates on the newish osprey Brit infantryman vs Zulu warrior book, and wondered why some regiments such as the Buffs 2/3 had facing coloured collars (buff)and scarlet cuffs, and other regiments such as the 24th had facing coloured collars AND cuffs on their scarlet frocks and tunics? why the disparity or was it just some difference in regiments?

Sorry for this very late reply, but as you raised something I too had been puzzling over a few years ago, I thought that I should reply with what I have found out. The simple answer is that it was left to individual regiments to decide what arrangement they preferred. Some decided to opt for a facing colour patch on the collar only, e.g. HM 23rd, and others opted for coloured facings on both, collar and cuffs, e.g. HM 24th. I have not been able to find a single publication on uniforms that lists comprehensively all the regiments and their associated configurations for the garments concerned. I was puzzled by this, but have reached the conclusion that the coloured patches were very likely added by battalion tailors, as it seems inconceivable that RACD would hold stocks of so many different patterns. Adding the patches would have been a relatively simple matter.
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals