Royal Clothing Factory Frock Designs

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Royal Clothing Factory Frock Designs

Postby gregory128 » 01 Jan 2016 04:04

Hello, maybe this sounds like a silly question. My apologies if it is and this has been covered. As i understand there was alot of variety in regards to frocks. Is this on a regimental basis or on a regional/state wise basis. If so, up to what period. The reason i ask is that I have recently bought a Military Clothing Factory book dated 1902 signed by the Headmaster Tailors. I will shortly publicize it with a small fee to cover publishing and purchase costs. However within it, it contains the patterns to making frocks. I do not have an image of the page on me yet as i haven't digitalised it, but i will post a camera image of another page for tunics to give an idea. I am confused because the existence of such a book from the Royal Clothing Factory suggests that there was some attempt to standardise the patterns for frocks. I welcome your thoughts and answers to the matter with great anticipation.

gregory128

Re: Royal Clothing Factory Frock Designs

Postby gregory128 » 01 Jan 2016 04:20

I understand from Grumpy's comments that Indian Service Frocks were very different and procurement and manufacture was local, so this question mainly focuses on British Frocks compared to ones created in the commonwealth and colonies.
gregory128

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Jan 2017 20:14

There were two patterns of RACD, 'home service' frock. The first had 5-buttons and no outer pockets. The later pattern had 7-buttons (the same as the tunic) and inset pockets with rectangular flaps in the skirt. I do not know the exact date that the changeover took place, but it seems to have been in the late 1890s. As usual when changes of this kind took place, there was a transitional period when the old pattern was 'wasted out' and both styles could be seen worn within the same unit. I hope that helps a little, albeit belatedly.
More rarely seen is a 6-button upper garment that is often observed worn by bandsmen, usually with a trefoil cuff decoration in white and gold, depending upon rank. As this is different to the authorised full dress tunic, I can only assume that it falls under the description of frock, although I know not its precise details.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby servicepub » 01 Feb 2017 01:34

Coincidentally, I have the same type of 'book'. Mine is dated 1901 and is named to a member of the ASC
Attachments
IMG_7007.JPG
IMG_7007.JPG (122.67 KiB) Viewed 95 times
servicepub
Participating Member

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals