British/Scottish Foreign Service Tunics/Frocks

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Re: British/Scottish Foreign Service Tunics/Frocks

Postby VictorianEra » 01 Jul 2017 05:53

Frogsmile,

I would also imagine this is a rare piece, considering these frocks are somewhat scarce on their own. I also quite like the paper label, quite amazing they used it for so long and you were issued a uniform that had a paper label with the exact same sizing system as this frock.
VictorianEra
Participating Member

Postby Frogsmile » 01 Jul 2017 09:33

VictorianEra wrote:Frogsmile,

I would also imagine this is a rare piece, considering these frocks are somewhat scarce on their own. I also quite like the paper label, quite amazing they used it for so long and you were issued a uniform that had a paper label with the exact same sizing system as this frock.

No, I do not wish to mislead. The label was cloth, not paper (I am not that old!). It had no cutter and trimmer markings and instead of ACD it was marked with the contractor's name. What was identical was the Imperial sizing of height, breast and waist, laid out in the exact same manner. It seemed a curiosity and so I commented on it.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby fireman » 17 Jul 2017 12:56

tag for later reading.
fireman

Postby VictorianEra » 18 Jul 2017 17:07

Hello again everyone.

My newest addition, the other said highland other ranks undress frock has arrived and it is more interesting than I thought.

The highland frock is in pretty good condition, but unlike my others has quite a few moth holes and it quite dirty. To the interior it is unlined. Unfortunately there are only torn up remains of the paper label present, as I've seen before on other uniforms. The collars and shoulders have no holes or signs of anything ever being there. All buttons are present, general service buttons with king's crown, and none have covering. I am not sure if this is un-issued or not, as it has no collar or shoulder holes but it is in not the best of condition, and it's buttons are not too dark and there is not wrapping. What is very interesting about the shoulder buttons is on both shoulders, they appear to be Welch Regiment buttons, and also have King's Crown buttons. Whether they are there for a reason, or were added long after this frock was made I cannot say, but very interesting to find a highland frock with Welsh regiment buttons on it. I am not quite sure if this is an un-issued garment like my previous example, or if there is a chance that it was issued. I would greatly appreciate any insight from my fellow forum members.

I think this was another good find, and a good example of the highland frock. Next on my list would probably finding an Officer's example, or perhaps one with collar and/or shoulder badges to a Scottish regiment to go with my Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Senior NCO frock.

Thanks for reading.

-Jamie
Attachments
IMG_4505.JPG
IMG_4505.JPG (70.41 KiB) Viewed 47 times
IMG_4504.JPG
IMG_4504.JPG (107.74 KiB) Viewed 47 times
IMG_4503.JPG
IMG_4503.JPG (82.51 KiB) Viewed 47 times
IMG_4506.JPG
IMG_4506.JPG (72.74 KiB) Viewed 47 times
IMG_4507.JPG
IMG_4507.JPG (91.83 KiB) Viewed 47 times
VictorianEra
Participating Member

Postby VictorianEra » 18 Jul 2017 17:10

My sincere apologies, I am not sure why the pictures are sideways, I took the pictures normally and they looked all right on my computer before I added them on here. I will try to fix the issue.

*Edit* They appear sideways on my computer, but when I logged onto Victorian Wars forum on my mobile device, the pictures appeared straight. I am not sure how the pictures will appear to other forum members, but if they are sideways my apologies. Here are some additional pictures...
Attachments
IMG_4508.JPG
IMG_4508.JPG (100.46 KiB) Viewed 46 times
IMG_4509.JPG
IMG_4509.JPG (67.43 KiB) Viewed 46 times
IMG_4510.JPG
IMG_4510.JPG (72.9 KiB) Viewed 46 times
IMG_4512.JPG
IMG_4512.JPG (76.21 KiB) Viewed 46 times
IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4513.JPG (55.54 KiB) Viewed 46 times
VictorianEra