Pictures or Picture sources of Harry "Breaker" Morant

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Pictures or Picture sources of Harry "Breaker" Morant

Postby ciroferrara » 05 Jul 2014 14:14

I am in the process of putting together a small pamphlet/eBook comprising solely any known photographs/illustrations of Harry Harbord Morant aka "the breaker".

Aside from the Australian War Memorial website I am having trouble tracking down any further sources!
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I have hit a wall.

regards
ciroferrara, devon
ciroferrara

Re: Pictures or Picture sources of Harry "Breaker" Morant

Postby Peter » 07 Jul 2014 13:22

The only way I can bring myself to reply is to declare it is monumentally (not, note, the customary “bit”) infra dig for me to consider this subject as I regard Morant in the same Australian criminal class as Ned Kelly. Now that I’ve purged myself …..

You’ve obviously googled. You must have missed the National Library’s Trove: see http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/resul ... +Morant%22. Over and above the holdings, note the Pictures, photos, objects link.

FWIW, given Edward Woodward’s role in the film, I would have thought that would have generated 'material' locally in your neck of the woods.

Regards,
Peter

Postby heliwest » 08 Jul 2014 19:41

I have to agree with the previous respondent that the Breaker and his mates were war criminals and it an amazing Australian trait to treat them as heroes. However the best picture of Morant is available at the UK National Archive and is copyright and this is the one taken by Mr Puddicombe in Bideford in 1901 showing him in hunting gear. Mr Puddicombe copyrighted the picture in April 1902 when "The Times" published the report of the executions and for a few bob it was possible to do this at Stationers Hall. Bill Woolmore's book "The Bushveld Carbineers, Nick Blezynski "Shoot straight you b*******" Charles Leach "The legend of Breaker Morant is dead and buried " and Carnegie and Shields "In search of Breaker Morant" all have some pictures and a look in the sources in the books will probably guide you forward.

Joe West
heliwest
Participating Member

Postby Norwood » 08 Jul 2014 21:00

John Norwood VC
Boer War
Ralph Legge Pomeroy
Norwood

Postby Peter » 11 Jun 2016 08:06

Ciroferrara,

Well past your publishing deadline, I’m sure, but ….

A review of Henry Reynolds’ recently published Unnecessary Wars (Weekend Australian Review, June 11 – 12, 2016, pp 20 & 21) includes a photograph of Morant, in uniform, mounted, “with Australian troops in the Boer War”.

If you’re still interested, PM me.
Peter

Return to Boer War 1899-1902