Disease and British Troops

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Disease and British Troops

Postby hodekin » 29 Nov 2008 12:33

Upon perusing the lists of British dead from the second Boer war, I am astounded at the number of deaths from 'disease'!

Is this genuine? or was 'disease' used as a general excuse for other causes?

Hope someone can help.

Regards,

Ken.
The barbarities of war are seldom committed by abnormal men. The tragedy of war is that these horrors are committed by normal men in abnormal situations.
hodekin

Re: Disease and British Troops

Postby hodekin » 29 Nov 2008 13:44

Sorry Guys!

I've just found the thread on Army Diseases on the 'other chat' forum, sorry for wasting time. :(

I'm still finding my way around this site :wink:

Ken.
The barbarities of war are seldom committed by abnormal men. The tragedy of war is that these horrors are committed by normal men in abnormal situations.
hodekin

Postby maiwander » 29 Nov 2008 16:49

Hi Ken

Welcome to the Forum. It does take a while to find your way around so take your time.

Interesting stuff on diseases in the British Army is around. I have done some research myself on this topic. My main interest in this sphere is in the mental illness field and there are papers written on quite a few well known campaigns.

Will look forward to reading more of your postings in due course - may be able to help you possibly.

Richard
They should have died in their own loved land.
With friends and kinsmen near them.
Not withered thus on a foreign strand,
With no thought, save heaven to cheer them.
Private H. Cooper 1st Batt. 5th Northumberland Fusiliers 1880
maiwander
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby hodekin » 29 Nov 2008 17:05

Thanks for that Richard, yeah...It'll take some time but I'm slowly plowing through everything! :lol:

Ken.
hodekin

Postby Liz » 23 Dec 2008 06:44

hodekin wrote:Upon perusing the lists of British dead from the second Boer war, I am astounded at the number of deaths from 'disease'!

Yes, there are indeed some staggering statistics around. And it was even worse in the early Victorian era before it was realised that diseases could be water-, insect- and blood-borne.
Liz
Forum Moderator

Return to Boer War 1899-1902