Loch's Horse / Cape Highlanders / Cape Infantry

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Loch's Horse / Cape Highlanders / Cape Infantry

Postby relbhcb » 12 Jun 2008 14:44

This is my first post, and I hope this is an appropriate forum to request some help ...

My Gt Gt uncle left the UK for S Africa with Lord Loch's Horse (B Squadron) in MAR-1900.
On 14-JUN-1902 he received a Loch's Horse QSA medal (3 clasps).
Between FEB-1902 and MAY-1906 he was working for the Cape Town Harbour Board, and later emigrated to Australia.

When he enlisted with the Australian forces in 1918 he stated that his military experience was "Cape Highlanders (5 yrs), Lord Loch's Horse (18 mths), Cape Infantry (3 mths)".

As it's almost certain that he left S Africa in 1907-08, it can be seen from the above dates that there must have been some "overlap" in what he was doing***. This is all the more so as I also have found references that he was part of the Transvaal Constabulary during the same period.

Does anyone know about how these roles could have been "part time"? I am not aware of how these forces worked / recruited etc.

Also, I know that his first role was with Loch's Horse, so is there any way of knowing / deducing whether he then joined the Cape Infantry or Cape Highlanders after that?

With thanks, Julian
UK

*** I suppose it's also possible that he was exaggerating his military experience, but I have no reason to think this!
Last edited by relbhcb on 12 Jun 2008 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
relbhcb

Re: Loch's Horse / Cap Highlanders / Cape Infantry

Postby Mark » 12 Jun 2008 16:03

Hi Julian

Firstly welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard.

Secondly I would guess that some of the units you mention above may well be part-time although I do not not know for sure. However we have several members who have a strong interest in South Africa who no doubt will be able to help answer your question.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Loch's Horse / Cape Highlanders / Cape Infantry

Postby DavidB » 12 Jun 2008 19:18

Hi Julian,

My first thought concerned the dates you've given.
Assuming he joined Loch's Horse in Mar 1900 at the time he left the UK, we have to allow him 18 months service which takes us to Sept 1901 (no later). Whether he then transferred to the CapeTown Highlanders or had an interim 3 month spell in the Cape Infantry, he must have ended the Boer War in 1902 in the CapeTown Highlanders.

Perhaps the medal experts can enlighten me here, but should his QSA (and KSA?) be named to the last unit he served with?
I take it you've come across the Loch's Horse roll on Kevin Asplin's site?

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/tamsinasplin/loch.html
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby relbhcb » 13 Jun 2008 09:09

Many thanks for the replies.

His name was Ernest Culliford, and he is shown on the Kevin Asplin website. His QSA has 3 clasps, with Johannesburg, Orange Free State and Cape Colony written on them. On the circumference (edge) it says TPR E. CULLIFORD LOCH'S HORSE. I have a photo of him wearing his QSA, wearing (according to a letter I have from the National Army Museum in London) his Capetown Highlanders uniform. They also mentioned that the sporran badge was worn from 1902 onwards, "... so the photo can be dated to circa or post this date".

Can one deduce anything from this? Why would his medal have Loch's Horse inscribed on it rather than either Capetown Highlanders or Cape Infantry?

Were the Capetown Highlanders or Cape Infantry "part time" units, and why might someone sign up for such a part time role. Would it have been a financial decision, or for other reasons? I'm also intrigued by his decision to stay in S Africa, rather than returning to London with his unit.

Please excuse any naivety or ignorance on my part - but whilst I have done a fair bit of genealogy, my military knowledge is very limited!

Julian

relbhcb

Postby Mark » 13 Jun 2008 12:04

Julian

Kevin Asplin is actually a member of this forum although I haven't seen him online for a while.

You could try sending him a PM (his forum name is KJA) and he will get an email notification of your message. He might then be able to help if he has any info on your man. He does a lot of research at the National Archives.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Brett Hendey » 13 Jun 2008 13:34

Julian

The Cape Infantry "was raised as Lines of Communications troops ...... and stationed in the N.W. districts of the Cape".
(Quote from the book 'The Armed Forces of South Africa' by Major G Tylden.)

I think it is likely that the service was with Loch's Horse and the Cape Infantry during the war and that service was with the Cape Town Highlanders (not Cape Highlanders) afterwards. The CTH is one of South Africa's volunteer regiments, i.e. a nucleus of full-time soldiers, but mostly part-time soldiers during peacetime and mobilized during wars.

In my experience QSA's were often (or ? always) named to the first unit served in (i.e. Loch's Horse in the present instance). Just as an example, I have a QSA to a man who served successively as a Trooper in the Natal Police, a Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery, and a Private in the Cape Police and his QSA was named to Tpr, Natal Police.

Many soldiers from Britain and other Colonies settled in South Africa after the Boer War.

Regards
Brett
Brett Hendey

Postby Brett Hendey » 14 Jun 2008 07:17

I must have been having one of my increasingly frequent senior moments yesterday when I suggested that QSA's might always have been named to the first unit served in. I had been thinking of examples where this was the case and not when it wasn't. I have a number of QSA's in my collection when it was a later unit that was acknowledged in the naming.

Sorry about this lapse.
Brett
Brett Hendey

Postby relbhcb » 15 Jun 2008 08:43

Thanks for all of the replies - they are gratefully received.

I have now found his Medal Roll - his QSA was issued on 13-JUN-1902, and in the margin it seems to suggest that he was in the Transvaal Constabulary.

So, a timeline _might_ have been ...

Loch's Horse ... MAR-1900 - SEP-1901 (18 mths)
Cape Infantry ... SEP-1900 - DEC-1900 (3 mths)
Cape Town Highlanders ... JAN-1901 - DEC-1905 (5 yrs)
Transvaal Constabulary ... ??? - JUN-1902 - ???

He also worked for the Cape Town Harbour Board FEB-1902 - MAY-1906. It's likely that he left S Africa late 1906 / 1907.

(Dates in bold are known).

So, once again for your help and input,

Regards, Julian
relbhcb

Postby Garen » 15 Jun 2008 11:40

Regarding your question, Julian, as to why he stayed on in South Africa - I have come across more than one soldier who stayed on with the police force, so I wonder if returning soldiers were first given the option, or recruited, to join the SA police forces rather than return home. It may have been a good offer at the time!

One of my distant relatives married a chap who served under Baden-Powell and then stayed on to serve in the South African Constabulary until 1907, returned to England, married, and later emigrated to Australia - so along similar lines to Ernest!

Best -
Garen
The Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 www.angloafghanwar.info
Garen
Forum Moderator

Postby kesbgm » 24 Sep 2009 20:49

Dear All,
This is an absolutely fascinating discussion, perhaps I can beg help also. I have had the privilege to view and admire the Medals, Decorations and Orders of Lord Loch (1st Baron Loch) of Boer War fame. What I haven't come across yet is the Badge and Headdress that would have been worn (presumably a 'Slouch Hat') can anyone help? In addition to Lord Loch's awards, I have also viewed and admired the second Lord's, including his Sudan, DSO and WW1 Trio with 5 MiDs' to the 'haul'.
I'm guessing that Loch's Horse was mobilised for purely the Boer War, but were they SA Nationals, ie resident volunteers, or were they some members of his estate that went with him? Lord Loch was MP for Drylaw near Edinburgh. In conclusion I'm new to this research bit for the late 19th early 20th C and apologise for any ignorance on my part.
Many thanks - Keith
kesbgm

Postby SWB » 23 Oct 2009 18:14

I've just been writing up 2nd Baron Loch for The Register.

His father the 1st Baron was not an MP, but a soldier, Lt-Governor Isle of Man, Governor Victoria, Australia and High Commissioner South Africa in the crucial period 1889-1895.

Loch's Horse was raised by Lord Loch in England, but was counted amongst the South African Irregular Forces.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Natal » 22 Nov 2009 11:41

The Transvaal Constabulary were the police that policed Johannesburg and Pretoria urban areas respectively. The rest of the Transvaal rural and urban ie Potchefstroom, Rustenburg was policed by the South African Constabulary (SAC).

TC was raised late 1900, alot of them later joined the SAC.

Both were British units.

All South African Regiments (colonial Cape and Natal) were volunteer. The exceptions being the police which were full time, in each colony. The police were the colonies first line of defence then the volunteer units. The CMR and NP had artillery included in their strength.

Natal Colony, Natal Police, Natal Border Police and Zululand Native Police. The Natal Police were first called Natal Mounted Police but changedin 1894 to just Natal Police.
Cape Colony, Cape Mounted Rifles (colonial) first they were called Frontier Armed amd Mounted Police (FAMP) and in 1878 changed name to Cape Mounted Rifles (colonial)

Cape Police split into three Districts. In 1904 changed name to Cape Mounted Rifles.

There was also the Cape Mounted Rifles (Imperial) which was full time (1827-1870)
Natal

Postby jersey » 26 Nov 2009 01:20

Julian,
I am a new member of the forum and hadn't seen your posts on Lochs horse before.
If you Google Loch's horse you will get a web site called angloboerwar. This site contains the nominal rolls of Lochs horse and
shows Culliford joined 15-3-00 and was discharges 4-3-01. It of course, contains all the members of the unit. Hope this helps.
David
jersey

Postby SWB » 26 Nov 2009 22:14

David,

The images on angloboerwar.com which you refer to and are commonly called "nominal rolls" are not nominal rolls but discharge books. They are not necessarily complete rolls, I know a number of men missing from various units who are on medal rolls and some have attestation papers too.

Of course Loch's Horse may be complete but it cannot be assumed so without reference to the medal rolls which can be regarded as the most complete nominal roll.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby kesbgm » 05 Dec 2009 07:28

Dear Sirs,
The subject of Loch's Horse - Thank you for the correction in my last post (MP bit), as regards the 'The Horse' does the register carry images of head dress, badges as well as roll etc?
Lord Loch's medals have around 14 on the bar, can you confirm that his 5 Mentions' were shared amongst the Boer Campaign and WW1, I'm still a bit new to this research stuff and any help is gratefully and humbly received.
Many Thanks

Keith
kesbgm

Return to Boer War 1899-1902