Help - Can you Identify this Uniform / Badge?

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Help - Can you Identify this Uniform / Badge?

Postby Jhawkins78 » 07 Mar 2010 21:52

Hello,

My names is James and I am researching my family tree. Please can anyone identify this uniform or badge in the attached Photograph???

I have come across this great photograph who is John Hawkins (Middle name William I think) and he was born in Childswickham, Gloucestershire - now Worcestershire on 2nd September 1880.

I would love to know what happened to him, his brother was my Great Grandad but as he died aged 34 my Grandad never got to find out anything about him and this photo is all we have.

I would be very gratefull for any guidance.

Kind Regards

James
Attachments
John William Hawkins Born 1880.jpg
John William Hawkins Born 1880.jpg (172.23 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Jhawkins78

Re: Help - Can you Identify this Uniform / Badge?

Postby SWB » 07 Mar 2010 22:59

Hello James,

Lots of requests like yours get posted onto this forum. Best advice is to read this guide to research: http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=360

Next best piece of advice: try for the service papers at the National Archives.

Trying to construct a service history from a photo such as yours is well nigh impossible - many family historians have spent many fruitless hours trying to do so without trying for the service records.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby DavidB » 07 Mar 2010 23:09

Trying to construct a service history from a photo such as yours is well nigh impossible

While what Meurig says here is true, it is often possible to glean some clues from a photo.
If we can get a handle on the badge, we might find his unit. But you'll need to rescan the badge at super-high res for us (forget the rest of the photo, crop it out, it uses filespace). I can't make it out at this scale.
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Jhawkins78 » 09 Mar 2010 23:23

Thank you to both of you, very helpful hints, I am looking into the archives but it looks like it is going to be a long process, probably need to get used to searching and eventually i will find the info i am after.

In the mean time I did re-scan and try to crop just the badge, its very very unclear but someone who lives and breathes badge could probably spot it or at least be able to narrow it down so I have re-attached, please anyone any clues much appreciated.

Many Thanks

James
Attachments
John William Hawkins Born 1880.jpg
John William Hawkins Born 1880.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 603 times
Jhawkins78

Postby SWB » 10 Mar 2010 10:08

I am looking into the archives but it looks like it is going to be a long process, probably need to get used to searching and eventually i will find the info i am after

Searching WO97 (Discharge papers) for the period (1901-1913) you are interested in takes no more than 20 minutes - there would be just one box to look at.

Of course getting to the Archives takes time. You can pre-order the box so it is ready for you on arrival.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Return to Boer War 1899-1902