7th Home Guard from New Zealand.

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

7th Home Guard from New Zealand.

Postby Fred » 29 Jan 2010 00:42

Please see my updated hypothethis on this rifle posted below. Thanks, Fred
Last edited by Fred on 29 Jan 2010 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Re: 7th Home Guard from New Zealand.

Postby Fred » 29 Jan 2010 01:06

Is the number 310 the registration number of the New Zealand soldier to whom this rifle was issued? If this IS a registration number, then the man who this rifle was issued to was in the 2nd NZ Contingient. This rifle was bought in New Zealand by Kirk Brumbough and brought to Omaha, Nebraska and sold to me last year.
Last edited by Fred on 29 Jan 2010 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Postby DavidB » 29 Jan 2010 12:32

Was the 7th Home Guard from New Zealand the same as the Suffolk Battalian and was this the same as the 7th Contingient that went to South Africa on the SS Gulf Of Taranto on 6th of April of 1901?

Hi Fred,
I have to admit I'm confused.
The 7th NZ contingent in the Boer War I've heard of.
http://www.angloboerwar.com/units/nz_7th_contingent.htm

But the Home Guard and the Suffolk Btn in a New Zealand context I haven't.
Why do you come to these conclusions? Can you enlighten us a bit further?
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Fred » 29 Jan 2010 18:06

Upon loking at the information that I read last night, I believe that you're quite correct about the Suffolk regiment not being linked to the New Zealand contingents. I missread the information and stand corrected. Thank you for bringing that to my attention! I'm glad that you responded and got me back on track!! I don't know what on earth the large S. on the butt tang and on the butt socket stands for then. OK, I'll just have to research this further which is quite exciting actually. Now, with this mistake corrected, I've searched for the registration number of 310 and have found a wonderful sight that just might have the answer. Again, I'm not saying that it's correct, so please, anyone, respond and tell me your thoughts on this. I'm posting a link to a site that has the available registration numbers of all the New Zealand servicemen who fought in the Boer War. The registration number of 310, IF the number on the rifle's stock refers to a registration number, belongs to Private Aurther RIchard Gillespie from Wellington of the 2nd New Zealand Contingent. The 2nd Contingent set sail on the ship SS Waiwera Jan. 20, 1900 for South Africa. I've been told that upon arriving there, they were issued new rifles to replace the Martini Henry rifles that they reportedly brought with them. If this information is accurate, then this rifle could have been made early in January at BSA and shipped with expendience to South Africa for issue along with the other supplies that the troops were waiting for. The rifle has an early prefix of A before the serial number which indicates that it was in the first of the series. As the serial numbers were recycled as production increased, the prefix's of B, C, D, E and so on were used. OK please everyone, do your research and let us all know of your thoughts, and conclusions! Thanks again, Fred

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/soldier/art ... -gillespie

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/new-zea ... r/database
Last edited by Fred on 29 Jan 2010 22:27, edited 2 times in total.
Fred

Postby SWB » 29 Jan 2010 18:10

Would a soldier's number be stamped on a rifle?

Did the Victorian track the issue of personal weapons to individiuals as you are assuming?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Fred » 29 Jan 2010 21:25

That's a good question. No, I'm not assuming anything yet. That's why I'm presenting the information to get imput from learned people like you and the others. However, here is another buttstock that came off of a NZ rifle with another number on it. IF it is indeed a registration number, it falls right in between those known of the 4th Contingient and 5th contingient.

Fred

Postby Fred » 30 Jan 2010 03:56

It's been pointed out to me that the number 310 on the rifle is another rack number that was used during WW II when the rifle was used by the 7th District Home Guard as per Winston Churchil's directive. Well, now I know for sure! So much for Arthur Richard Gillespie's rifle then. Well the rifle was used in the Boer War in 1901 anyway and that's pretty cool!
Fred

Return to Boer War 1899-1902