An interesting photo

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Re: An interesting photo

Postby SWB » 12 Mar 2017 19:37

Thanks Stuart, I too have not had any notifications for replies on this thread.

Eric: the militia played a large part in the war, the best I have seen on their role is this book.

No connection to seller, other copies are available. :)

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Redcoat 57 » 13 Mar 2017 14:39

Thanks for the link Meurig!
I also found this page which gives a brief overview;

http://www.victorianmilitarysociety.org ... o-boer-war

Eric
Redcoat 57

Postby SWB » 13 Mar 2017 23:36

Thanks for your link Eric, good old Soldiers of The Queen, full of useful information. :D
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Stuart_Bates » 16 Mar 2017 00:25

I received this response from my MilitarySunHelmets post -

"Hi, if you note the picture of the officer seated in the front row, he is wearing a wrist watch…a pocket watch with a leather holster of sorts. When did this practice commence? That would definitely narrow the timeline. Note the officer wearing the Tilson cap rather that a pith helmet. This would also help narrow the time line. Two of the officers have a SA ribbon, which may date this to about 1901-1904. The portly chap on the back right has different cut pocket flaps which is possibly a change of kit.

It could be located on the Canadian Prairies as well. The NWMP did wear these uniforms when on SA service and prior….They also wore Tilson caps. Most pictures of the NWMP show flat brimmed stetsons but they did have the khaki helmets and some of the officers here are wearing spurs…bottom right."

I started researching wrist watches but one can do no better than http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/wristlets.php

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby Peterem » 16 Mar 2017 11:59

Hello Stuart,

If "Tilson Cap" means the Field Service Cap worn by the chap in the back row, he has also been intriguing me. No Sam Browne or visible badges of rank and a badly-fitting tunic, but what seems to be a coloured full dress cap with officer's piping, and an embroidered badge (?). His buttons are also apparently more domed and noticeably darker than anyone else's in the group - perhaps bronzed? Doesn't suggest infantry to me, but then again I suppose there's no logical reason to assume everyone in the photo has to come from the same unit!

Peter
Peterem

Postby Redcoat 57 » 16 Mar 2017 22:16

I just noticed the horse in the background has a white browband - does anyone know if that is significant?
Redcoat 57

Postby Stuart_Bates » 16 Mar 2017 23:34

Peter,

I have never heard of a "Tilson" cap but know whom to ask.

Redcoat: As to the white browband - no idea.

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby servicepub » 16 Mar 2017 23:50

"Tilson" is new to me and it is not a Torin cap. It looks like a standard RA Coloured Field Service Cap, although I don't think 'Coloured" was used in the day.
servicepub
Participating Member

Previous

Return to Boer War 1899-1902