Boer War Dead, 20th Coy. Royal Engineers, Bloemfontein

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Boer War Dead, 20th Coy. Royal Engineers, Bloemfontein

Postby walkerkid » 10 Apr 2016 02:52

Boer War Bloemfontein Cemetery small.jpg
Taken at the Bloemfontein cemetery (name unknown) at the end of the Boer War. My grandfather noted it was taken on a day when people came to "decorate" the graves of the soldiers. This is where the 20th Coy. memorial supposedly is.
Boer War Bloemfontein Cemetery small.jpg (372.35 KiB) Viewed 325 times
20th Coy memorial.jpg
20th Coy., Royal Engineers memorial in the Bloemfontein cemetery (name of cemetery unknown).
20th Coy memorial.jpg (275.2 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Boer War 20thCoy memorial Bloemfontein edit.jpg
The 20th Coy. memorial in a wider shot.
Boer War 20thCoy memorial Bloemfontein edit.jpg (259.33 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Dear Community,

My grandfather served in the 20th Company, Royal Engineers during the Boer War, keeping a diary of his time in South Africa. One job he held for several months was making sure that dead soldiers in Bloemfontein were properly buried. (Many were enteric fever victims.) It was obviously depressing, miserable work.

He or a comrade took one photo of the cemetery in Bloemfontein where he worked, aiming the camera at the war memorial dedicated to the men of the 20th Coy., RE's who lost their lives during the conflict.

Question: Does anyone know if this cemetery--and specifically this monument--still exists? If so, where exactly is it in Bloemfontein? What is it called today? I'd like to know if his efforts lasted or whether this cemetery and the 20th Coy. memorial have been lost in the intervening years.

Thank you kindly,

walkerkid
walkerkid

Re: Boer War Dead, 20th Coy. Royal Engineers, Bloemfontein

Postby SWB » 10 Apr 2016 09:16

Hello

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

This site should answer your questions: http://www.southafricawargraves.org/

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Re: Boer War Dead, 20th Coy. Royal Engineers, Bloemfontein

Postby walkerkid » 10 Apr 2016 22:19

Thank you, Meurig. I will contact the folks at http://www.southafricawargraves.org/ as you kindly suggested. Sounds perfect!

Additionally, I am wondering if anyone from the Bloemfontein area is familiar with this memorial. It would be great to hear from you, and also from anyone whose relatives served in the 20th Company, Royal Engineers during the Boer War.

walkerkid
walkerkid

Return to Boer War 1899-1902