help with my grandfather

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Re: help with my grandfather

Postby RobD » 28 Dec 2016 11:54

Well, Pete asked for a pic showing what his grandfather looked like in his kit at Ladysmith, it was the best I could come up with.
Roconn, if you have a good pic of the Rifle Brigade at Ladysmith, please let us see it!
RobD

Postby Pete Beach » 06 Jan 2017 15:31

Greetings,
If either of you kind gentlemen can come up with a photograph of my grandfather, or his brigade ( I haven't been able too as yet)....I would be most appreciative. I have no photographs of my grandfather in his uniform or of his brigade....still trying to contact the last of my English relatives, in hopes that somewhere in hisr attic there might be that cookie tin full of memorabilia. As of this writing no response.
Have a Great New Year.
Pete
From across the BIG POND :)
Pete Beach

Postby Pete Beach » 12 Jan 2017 21:19

Good day to all.
I have a request to ask of anyone who can help. My Grandfather, Albert Edward Butler #4555, was in the 2nd Rifle Battalion. I had been informed that he was wounded at Ladysmith, 15 of February 1900. I just found out that he was wounded at Colenso on that day, not Ladysmith. He is listed in the NATAL FIELD FORCE CASUALTY ROLL, page 206 Line 48, from what I can gather from another site. If anyone has access to that Roll could you please see if it states how he was wounded, etc.
I believe that this battle was in an attempt to relieve Ladysmith. Also if possible, to what Hospital on the Isle of Wight he was eventually sent.

I am trying to correct some info and get as much documented as possible.

Thank you.
Pete
Pete Beach

Postby RobD » 12 Jan 2017 23:59

I think, Pete, you need to ask someone who has access to the QSA Medal Roll to tell you what clasps he was awarded. Then you will know if he was relieving or defending Ladysmith.
Rob
RobD

Postby Pete Beach » 14 Jan 2017 12:39

Thank you RobD I shall take your advice into consideration.
Happy New Year.
Pete
Pete Beach

Postby Pete Beach » 18 Jan 2017 19:09

Greetings to all.
First off, I want to again thank those of you who have helped me with facts about my grandfather, Albert Edward Butler.....you know who you are. :D .( Not sure if I likes these happy faces)
I did not have access to Ancestry.com for some time now. However since my birthday is at hand I thought I would....with the permission of she who keeps the accounts....treat myself.
With the help of Ancestry I have discovered that there were two Albert Butlers in the Rifle Brigade, 2nd Battalion. Both were privates, both served at Ladysmith, both received the Q.S.A. Medal with the Defence of Ladysmith Clasp. My grandfathers Service # is 4555. The other Albert Butler Service # is 3371. The second Albert Butler will go on to win the Laing's Net Clasp while my grandfather will recover from his wounds in a military hospital.
Must have been confusing with Mail Call, and Mess Call. :?:
Pete
Pete Beach

Postby RobD » 19 Jan 2017 18:36

Pete,
if he was in the Defence of Ladysmith, it is simply impossible for him to have been wounded at Colenso. He would have been wounded in the besieged town at Ladysmith, >20 km north of Colenso. The reason is that the siege was very tight, and no British troops were patrolling as far south as Colenso at any time during the siege. By 15th feb, when he was wounded, the garrison were too weak to do much at all, so he was probably wounded by a long-distance Mauser bullet, a shell fragment, or an accident.
So, how could news of the wound have come from Colenso, then? Well, prior to the siege being lifted (28 Feb) the Ladysmith garrison was in regular heliograph signal contact, searchlight signal contact, and "native runner" contact with the relieving force at Colenso, so it is quite possible the garrison reported his being WIA to Colenso, and the despatch would have then come to the outside world from Colenso.
Or his wound could have been reported from Colenso after the siege was lifted.
When in Ladysmith, he may have possibly have been treated at Intombi Military Hospital, which you can read about here: http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol056sw.html
Rob
RobD

Postby Pete Beach » 23 Jan 2017 21:41

RobD,

Your conclusions make sense. Pondered that conclusion too. Everything I have found out from my own research and all of the help I have received from this site, brings me to the conclusion that my grandfather was indeed in Ladysmith. My only contact with my last living relative in England, who might have been able to provide me with pictures, medals, something, anything, I fear has ended. I wish I could have found his original medals.
Thank you again.
Pete
Pete Beach

Postby Simon A » 28 Feb 2017 14:45

Pete

Your Grandfathers War Pension is held at the National Archives

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... ny&_st=adv

I recently discovered my Great Granduncle's pension among these records (PIN 71). They run to 70 odd pages and hold quite a lot of detail. He was thrown from his horse whilst training them, just after the Defence of Ladysmith. He was unconscious for 4 days and invalided home. He was in the 5th Lancers and holds the Defence of Ladysmith Clasp. I was very excited to learn his squadron and a medical history of his time in India, South Africa and England.
I plan on visiting the National Archive's soon to get further information on the Siege of Ladysmith. If you like I can take a copy of the document for you.
Regards

Simon
Simon A

Postby Pete Beach » 01 Mar 2017 20:12

Simon,
Greetings from across the BIG POND. Your generous offer is appreciated. I have had difficulty trying to get into his Medical/Pension files for awhile now.
Sorry for not getting back sooner....been away for awhile.
What do you require from me to help???
Please advise.
Pete
Pete Beach

Postby Simon A » 02 Mar 2017 14:30

Pete

I think I PM'd you but not sure if it worked. If you PM me with your E Mail address I will make the trip and send it to you. It may be in a while because the trains into London at weekends are disrupted due to engineering work. I will go when they improve.

Simon
Simon A

Previous

Return to Boer War 1899-1902