Relief of Kimberley Books

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Relief of Kimberley Books

Postby rclpillinger » 19 Feb 2016 21:52

I have just read "Towards Pretoria" by Julian Ralph, which made quite interesting reading, but I found was too journalistic for the information that I was hoping to glean from it, but never-the-less a book which conveyed the atmosphere of the conflict very well.

I am looking for a well-written book that can tell me much of the detail of the fight between the battle at Modder River and on to the dash for the Relief of Kimberley and the ensuing few days following this event. Is there such a tome, or am I just going to have to pick up what I can from general accounts of the whole War?

Can anyone help?

Richard

I have added a photo that bears no relevance to this topic, except that it was taken whilst the XRH loaded horses somewhere in S. Africa in 1900, and it is in Major Pillinger's album.
Attachments
Training Station.JPG
Training Station.JPG (137.32 KiB) Viewed 190 times
rclpillinger

Re: Relief of Kimberley Books

Postby QSAMIKE » 20 Feb 2016 05:04

Here are a few that might help that are in my library.......

KEKEWICH IN KIMBERLY, BEING AN ACCOUNT OF THE DEFENCE OF THE DIAMOND FIELDS, OCTOBER 14TH, 1899 - FEBRUARY 15TH, 1900, by Lieut.-Colonel W.A.J. O’Meara CMG, Medici Society, 1926

KIMBERLY FLYING COLUMN, BOER WAR REMINISCENCES, by Trooper Frank Perham “C” Squadron 5th NewZealand Mounted Rifles, Timaru Publishing, 1957

KIMBERLY, ACCOUNT AND MEDAL ROLL, by David J. Biggins, Token Publishing Ltd, 2010, ISBN 978 1-8701-9204-0

The best one is the last in MOP and David is the founder and moderator of the Anglo Boer Web Page......

Mike
Last edited by QSAMIKE on 20 Feb 2016 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby rclpillinger » 20 Feb 2016 16:51

Thankyou Mike;

I have just ordered the Biggin's book, but only just. The first price Amazon came up with was £160, but after a quick look round I have found it for a much more reasonable sum, just under £30! The first one must have a gold plated cover.

Thanks

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby QSAMIKE » 20 Feb 2016 22:32

rclpillinger wrote:Thankyou Mike;

I have just ordered the Biggin's book, but only just. The first price Amazon came up with was £160, but after a quick look round I have found it for a much more reasonable sum, just under £30! The first one must have a gold plated cover.

Thanks

Richard

Glad you found one Richard..... I have always found that Amazon's prices are way out of line.....

Mike
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Return to Boer War 1899-1902