A "Souvenir" of the Boer War?

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

A "Souvenir" of the Boer War?

Postby The Scorer » 06 Feb 2016 12:11

I'd like to ask the forum for some help in identifying something which I was shown last night, please.

It is a map of The Transvaal and Orange Free State on what looks like a tea towel, but doesn't seem to be. It's made of a thin kind of linen, which makes me think of a tea towel, but it's too thin for that; it looks more like a souvenir rather than something that was meant to be used.

As well as the map, there are two well known historical figures shown. At the top left hand side, there is a drawing of Paul Kruger, the President of the South African Republic (The Transvaal) between 1883 and 1900, and at the top right side, a drawing of Joseph Chamberlain, Colonial Secretary between 1895 and 1903.

I only had a short time to look at it as the person who showed it to me had to take it away to give it back to the owner today. For that reason (and also because I didn't have a camera!), I can't post an image of it. None of the people who looked at it last night (or the owner!) know what this actually is, and I'd like to know whether anyone on the Forum can help with identifying it, please.

Thank you; if you have any questions, please let me know.
The Scorer

Re: A "Souvenir" of the Boer War?

Postby QSAMIKE » 06 Feb 2016 18:41

Good Morning Scorer......

It is one of may hankies that were made and sold as souvenir's and to raise funds for the troops......

There are a couple of different versions of yours..... I have one with Blue, one with Black and one with a faded Brown or possibly Red printing on it......

There were many different ones made I have one from the CIV, one from the welcome home of Lord Kitchener and a few others.....

Mike
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby The Scorer » 07 Feb 2016 10:44

Thanks very much for your advice.

Now that I think about it, is does look a bit like a hankie, although it's rather large! I've now found this page from the internet http://angloboerwarmuseum.com/Boer4c_fabric_handk.html - is this something that you're involved in?

I'll pass this on to the person who asked me about it and he can tell the owners.

Thanks again, and my best wishes.
The Scorer

Postby QSAMIKE » 07 Feb 2016 16:27

Good Morning Scorer......

Not affiliated with the association you have mentioned......

Have been a Boer War Collector for over 45 years now...... Ouch, really that long......

There is a good forum strictly on the Boer War if you are interested......

http://www.angloboerwar.com/

Mike

Oh yes these hankies do show up on ebay occasionally......
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby The Scorer » 08 Feb 2016 10:12

Thanks very much - I'll pass this on.
The Scorer

Return to Boer War 1899-1902