South african Light Horse

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

South african Light Horse

Postby Waggoner » 06 Dec 2015 02:16

I have purchased a BWM to Lieut. Edwin Robert MacGregor who served with 4 CMR and the CASC during the First World War. On his Attestation Paper, he stated that he had served for either four or five years (the writing is hard to read) as a Lieut. in the South African Light Horse.

I have checked the medal rolls and cannot find him listed. Meurig on the BMF could not find him in the discharge papers either. It looks as if he may have enhanced his resume but, before saying this for certain, can anyone suggest where else I could look for him?

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Re: South african Light Horse

Postby Mark A. Reid » 06 Dec 2015 02:43

Hi Gary:

Just a random thought, but is it possible that South African Light Horse might actually be the South Alberta Light Horse? I know they didn't operate under that official title at the time but perhaps an unofficial name with the same initials? Just a thought, and probably wrong too!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 06 Dec 2015 02:50

Belay that! As they say in the Navy. I just read his CEF Attestation Paper and it actually spells out " South African L.H. " so nought to do with Alberta. I had to chuckle when I read his physical description and it mentioned " Bald spot on top of head. " It must have been a young clerk with a full head of hair who wrote that!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Waggoner » 06 Dec 2015 02:57

Mark,

Yes, hair loss can be debilitating!

I have googled several references about the unit but haven't found any mention of him. Guess I will have to wait until his service file is digitized. I am also curious about his brief period of service in 4 CMR. It doesn't appear that he went overseas with them.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby RobD » 06 Dec 2015 14:01

He could have served for 4-5 yrs and not been on a medal roll, I think: The SALH existed 1899 - 1907; possibly your man joined after the ABW and thus was not eligible for a medal?
Rob
RobD
Participating Member

Postby Waggoner » 06 Dec 2015 14:25

Rob,

Good idea! That is entirely possible. Thanks for suggesting it.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Return to Boer War 1899-1902