Relief of Kimberley

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Relief of Kimberley

Postby rclpillinger » 27 Oct 2015 11:39

I am looking forward to a visit to the Horsepower Museum tomorrow. I am going specifically to photograph a huge pic. of all the officers in a group that were involved in the Kimberley charge early February 1900. With it there is also a complete numbered picture as an index of all the Officers' names.

These two pictures used to hang in my Grandmother's dining room and, as children, we used to enjoy searching for Grandpa, who was in the middle somewhere as a very newly appointed Honarary Lieutenant.

I will post pictures of it upon my return home next week if anyone is interested.

Richard
rclpillinger

Re: Relief of Kimberley

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Oct 2015 18:50

I look forwards to seeing it Richard.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby rclpillinger » 28 Oct 2015 19:47

Had a brilliant day at the museum today and the pictures were just as I remembered. Apparently there is another copy of the index pic in a pub in aldershot but I think the main photo is almost unique. It does need some restoration to the frame which I have offered to help with the cost of.
There are also some important names there.
I shall post pictures when I get home after the weekend.
Also have photos of Grandpa's pillbox hat which looks as if it has never been worn. And his ww1 cap with a badge that I would like your opinion,Frogsmile. I think it proves he was on the staff after Gallipoli, which might help me find what he was doing in the last two years of the war.

Watch this space. !!!

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby rclpillinger » 02 Nov 2015 22:50

Well, here at last are the pictures. The light wasn't brilliant for photographing an black and white picture behind glass but it is not TOO bad a result.

The picture is a composite photo made up of an image of every Officer who was involved at the Relief of Kimberley, complete with a numbered index. As I said, my Grandfather appears as a recently appointed Lieutenant, and this charge took place just a few days before his first of two mentions in despatches during this conflict.

There are some very notable men in this picture, including Haig, Roberts and many more names that would become well known during the next few years.

These two pictures used to hang in my Grandmother's dining room and we children spent many happy meal times searching for Major Pillinger!

Richard
Attachments
Index.JPG
Index.JPG (144.85 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Picture1.JPG
Picture1.JPG (139.76 KiB) Viewed 422 times
rclpillinger

Postby DesertBlooms » 04 Nov 2015 17:55

Would this photo also show Company sergeant major?
DesertBlooms

Postby rclpillinger » 04 Nov 2015 19:17

Desert Blooms

The photograph shows one Lieutenant-General, several Lieutenant-Colonels and runs down to lowly Lieutenants such as my Grandfather, but no CSMs I am afraid.

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby rclpillinger » 01 Dec 2016 23:03

I have today heard that the Picture of the Officers involved at the Relief of Kimberley is now ready for collection.

I have had the pic. removed from its old frame, which is beyond repair, cleaned, two scratches touched out, new card surround to keep it off the glass, new frame and glass, and an acid-free backing. This work has been done by Kiffy Stainer Hutchins who work from premises on the Houghton House Estate here in Norfolk, and the Museum has agreed to hang it in their offices, along with the index.

I am looking forward to getting it back to Winchester as soon as I am able to get down there.

Richard
Attachments
Relief of Kimberley 2.JPG
Relief of Kimberley 2.JPG (133.36 KiB) Viewed 185 times
rclpillinger

Return to Boer War 1899-1902