Kassassin

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Re: Kassassin

Postby mike snook » 04 Aug 2014 22:37

Good. Bill, I'm glad you've showed up to speak with authority. A Tidy Little War is certainly in my collection and is a book I think highly of.

Best Wishes,

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Josh&Historyland » 04 Aug 2014 23:03

Great Photos Mike!

And apart from my puzzlement at the frequent use of the term "English" troops towards the start of the thread, I have enjoyed reading through, and have learned much, not least added books to the "To buy list"

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby mick_ryan » 06 Aug 2014 13:22

Interestingly, with Mike's fantastic photo's, I note an interesting anomaly, with respect to the RMA headstone.

I have a KIA Kassassin RMA medal in the collection, which is not on the headstone. He is listed in papers and indeed the official list, and the roll. Intriguing!

Mick
mick_ryan

Postby HerbertKitch12 » 12 Aug 2014 16:19

Regarding the high ground I believe my confusion may have come from the fact there was a ditch beneath the Egyptian defences. Subsequently many portraits seem to depict the highland brigade emerging as at the enemy defences as though they had been charging uphill when in fact am guessing they had charged down the ditch and back up a slope to reach the enemy.

Sorry I know that's random any feedback or confirmation appreciated :-)
HerbertKitch12

Postby mick_ryan » 14 Aug 2014 11:18

Just a gloat :oops: , I am so happy tonight.

I have managed to win at auction a lovely group to the 7th Dragoon Guards - a Trooper that was confirmed WIA at the Charge, and also presented his medal by the Queen.

So happy :lol: :D

Gloat over :oops: :lol:

Mick
mick_ryan

Postby dhtandco » 30 Dec 2014 22:15

Ive just finished reading a tidy little war and found it to be a great introduction for someone who knew very little about this particular campaign. The only thing I think it lacked were battlefield maps showing the troop dispositions and progress of the various battles. Does anyone know if these are available elsewhere please?
dhtandco

Previous

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98