Beyond The Reach of Empire

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Re: Beyond The Reach of Empire

Postby mike snook » 17 Mar 2014 19:48

Thank you Sahib; you are a gentleman. There was a bit of buzzing about involved it is true!!

Bzz Bzz.

As ever

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby roconn » 04 Apr 2014 15:51

Your Eminence:

I have finished reading BTOE (for now) and can wholeheartedly attest to the excellent marshalling & presentation of the facts.

As one would expect there several elegant turns of phrase which should be left to the reader to discover.

Nevertheless,regarding the body of work, of course I now have had to change my mind on several previously held opinions -- but when the facts change so should one's opinion.

Of course this was a different opus from GSITD and was not as lavishly illustrated which is merely a small drawback as I'd rather liked to have seen some more of the heroes and villains portrayed -- if no other reason than to gaze upon their likenesses and possibly confirm my worst suspicions.

This book is a definite keeper and will subsequently cost me dearly as there is a search for all(some) the sources quoted and there are very many - which truly staggers the imagination when one considers the volume of collection, collation and dissemination required to put the facts before the reader.

roconn
roconn
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 04 Apr 2014 19:32

Thanks for the review, roconn!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby mike snook » 05 Apr 2014 01:22

T'ank you y'r Honour,

Believe me I begged for more plates but such is the volume of text, about 350,000 words, (or 3.5 conventionally sized books), that it would (allegedly) have made the unit cost prohibitive. As I'm sure I remarked before, one is supposed to flog dead horses by writing about Napoleon (yawn) or Nazis (yawn) to shift military history in the sort of big numbers that justify pushing the boat out with a super sexy plate section. When you think about it, pocket battleship sized books in the same class are rarely lavishly illustrated. Think for example of Noel Mostert's 'Frontiers' which I for one greatly admire. All that said there are 34 illustrations in BTROE as well as some 14 maps...and that ain't bad really.

Here's an extra plate: the very rock which Bordein hit (in my judgement) as she steamed towards the camera. Now look again...no not that one....that one. Deadly eh?

Anyway, glad you liked it sir and that it made sense. What we need of course is for somebody to tell the same story on the big screen. It's a remarkable tale, in so many dimensions, and deserves to be far better known.

Thanks for your generous words

As ever

Mike

PS If in doubt you're looking right rear of the grassy one.
Last edited by mike snook on 05 Apr 2014 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby rclpillinger » 06 Apr 2014 21:30

I have just had confirmation from Amazon that my copy has been dispatched. :D
rclpillinger

Postby tasker224 » 27 Dec 2014 15:43

I haven't got 10% of the way into this book yet but already I can make the "gut-feeling" judgement that this is to date, Mike Snook's masterpiece. No one other than Mike could possibly have researched this subject any more thoroughly than him and no one will be able to either for the foreseeable future.
Mike has elevated himself to being a peerless Authority on this campaign. Period. If you have not yet read the book, and do not want me to spoil your fun, look away or change channel now!
At the outset, it is clear that MS sees straight through the conventional assertions written in official despatches and in the press releases of the day which the great British public were compelled to consume: that the traditional fall guy in the blame game - in a remarkable parallel with how poor Durnford was at iSandlwana - was scape-goated to save the skin and to cover the failings of the man i/c.
tasker224

Postby Derbys » 29 Dec 2014 17:30

I could not agree more - BTROE is truly superb. So much so that Mike Snook has provoked an interest to read as many of source publications as I can find. Before BTROE, I had read Asher's Khartoum - having read BTROE, I'm now reading Wolesley's and Wilson's accounts. Compare and contrast - truly fascinating. Great job, Mike.
Derbys
Participating Member

Previous

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98