Go Strong into the Desert

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Re: Go Strong into the Desert

Postby mike snook » 21 Feb 2011 22:48

Hiya chaps

No ED is right Theo - I did pop a notice up on one of the threads here that notwithstanding amazon and such like saying that the next production is out in April, it's more likely to be the third quarter of the year. If it's any consolation the longer you have to wait, the thicker it'll be!

Heyho...sorry...but it's not my full-time job and there are only 36 hours in a day! :D Aren't there?

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Poison Dwarf » 10 May 2011 18:30

I've just received my copy of Go Strong . . . and while I initially thought the price was a bit steep, now that I see it in the flesh, I consider it a great bargain. It's not a book, but rather a focused encyclopedia of matters related to the Sudan uprising. And it's very well illustrated, which is a shortcoming of many other similar efforts.

I had earlier decided to wade through Fire and Sword . . . one more time, but now I won't have to.

Many thanks, Mike.
Poison Dwarf

Postby mike snook » 12 May 2011 00:08

Great; that's kind. I'm glad you're happy with it and consider it good VFM to boot.

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby roconn » 01 Jun 2011 16:18

Effendi Mike:

Not that I wish to bother a 36hr-a-day man whilst he's setting up in SA ....... but referring to VFM on your last production, this definitely was the case!

So now what about the next tour-de-force? Do we wait patiently until Q3? Any further update? When, Mike when?

an avid reader needs to know!

roconn
roconn
Participating Member

Postby Aurelius3 » 16 Dec 2011 18:04

Any updates to the post? Last I checked the book was not yet available. Thank you,
Aurelius3

Postby love4history » 17 Jun 2012 16:06

Long overdue but after reading the glowing terms in which the work was described I ordered my copy today.
Looking forward to reading it.
love4history

Postby Jeersanteryy » 03 Jul 2012 10:24

.signies will be difficult I think - I am in UK for the National Army Museum event on 10 April and for a couple of weeks holiday thereafter, but then I return to Africa, so I don't see there will be an opportunity for me to pre-sign copies for them that wants 'em. I'm sure we'll be able to meet up somewhere some day though - just don't spill your coffee on your copy before then!!
Jeersanteryy

Postby love4history » 10 Jul 2012 13:28

Got my copy and finished reading it. It was indeed all it was trumped up to be! To be brief: magnificent read indeed!
Wish there would be similar works for all Victorian campaigns :D
love4history

Postby fantomark » 12 Jul 2012 18:21

Yes, definitely!
It is one of my favourite Sudan Campaign Books ever!

To have a similar book on other Victorian Campaigns would be fantastic.
I believe that one about the ZULU WAR , for example, would be a top seller and ideal boost for Perry Miniaures Wargame Figures (in spite of the ZW being admittedly an already well covered campaign ).

One of the key element of the success of Go Strong into the Desert is that while being a very good account of the campaign for both the general as well as the experienced reader , it is the perfect reference book for wargamers and figure painters , giving a detailed description of unit strengths , uniform details and native dress: a real goldmine of information virtually impossble to be found in one single book, so far.

Once again, well done, Mike!!

:D
"What a pity you are not an Englishman!".
Gordon's remark to his Italian lieutenant, Romolo Gessi
fantomark

Postby fireman » 03 May 2017 12:32

Necro posting this but any chance of a reprint or second edition of this? Copies of this are now close to $100 on the secondary market. :o
fireman

Postby mike snook » 03 May 2017 13:24

Fireman, It has never been out of print - it can be bought from the online store at Perry Miniatures and shipped anywhere.
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=2468

Regards,

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby ragbones » 03 May 2017 17:42

Any chance of a 'sequel' to Go Strong Into the Desert? I love that book. I'm re-reading 'Beyond the Reach of Empire,' another favorite.
ragbones

Postby fireman » 04 May 2017 12:47

mike snook wrote:Fireman, It has never been out of print - it can be bought from the online store at Perry Miniatures and shipped anywhere.
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=2468

Regards,

M

Thank you! I have ordered it and it should be in hand within the week...I hope. I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks again.
fireman

Postby mike snook » 04 May 2017 17:46

Ragbones

Many thanks for you kind words. Hmm...I'm not sure it can be termed a sequel, but I did so something for Perrys in much the same style as GSITD, called 'Cape Warriors'. It's about the wars on the South African frontier between 1834 and 1853. Two volumes which can be bought separately, or together at a slight discount. But I would emphasise that they are designed to be read together, as Volume 1 cues chapters in Volume II dealing with the close detail of various battles.
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=evjvo5go594quc71ohhpmiqo16

Fireman, Great. I hope you enjoy it.

Best Wishes to both

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby ragbones » 03 Jun 2017 02:59

Hi Mike,
Thanks for replying. I've heard great things about your Cape Wars books. Simply as a fan of your work, I was hoping you might write a book on the "interregnum," between the fall of Khartoum and the withdrawal from Sudan to approximately 1895. The training and transformation of the Egyptian Army by a dedicated cadre of British NCO's and officers; their successful trials of fire at Toski, the 2nd battle of Tokar and Suakin (aka Gemaizah); the Mahdist conflicts with the Abyssinians and Italians. And then a third book on the reconquest, 1896 - 1899. Hey...a guy can dream. :-)
Warm wishes,
Wayne
ragbones

PreviousNext

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98