Go Strong into the Desert

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Re: Go Strong into the Desert

Postby fireman » 20 Jun 2017 12:19

I got my copy a while back and have been working my way through it.....along with about a bunch of other books on the era. It is really great, well worth getting!

One question that I have that I have not seen directly answered. Along with the blue/grey serge tunic, did troops get issued new belts and cartridge pouches in brown leather or did they just wear a stripped down version of the standard field gear, belt, ammo pouch and haversack etc to go along with the bandoleer?

I have read sources that say everyone got new gear and other sources say units simply used their issued gear. Was it a case of some units got all new gear and others were issued just the bandoleer?

Thanks!
fireman

Postby HerbertKitch12 » 21 Jun 2017 12:35

Just placed this on my birthday list, can't bloody wait :)
HerbertKitch12

Postby fireman » 22 Jun 2017 01:13

HerbertKitch12 wrote:Just placed this on my birthday list, can't bloody wait :)

I hope you are getting it from Perry Miniatures. Best price around and very fast shipping.
fireman

Postby jf42 » 22 Jun 2017 20:19

fireman wrote:
One question that I have that I have not seen directly answered. Along with the blue/grey serge tunic, did troops get issued new belts and cartridge pouches in brown leather or did they just wear a stripped down version of the standard field gear, belt, ammo pouch and haversack etc to go along with the bandoleer?

I have read sources that say everyone got new gear and other sources say units simply used their issued gear. Was it a case of some units got all new gear and others were issued just the bandoleer?

Thanks!

That would depend on which units you are talking about; for instance: Infantry sent from Home or from India, British or Native; Cavalry ditto; Camels Corps, Heavy or Light. There was no 'Everyone.'
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby fireman » 23 Jun 2017 12:09

jf42 wrote:
fireman wrote:

Thanks!

That would depend on which units you are talking about; for instance: Infantry sent from Home or from India, British or Native; Cavalry ditto; Camels Corps, Heavy or Light. There was no 'Everyone.'

That answers my question. It did vary unit by unit. Thanks! I really need to dig into Sudan campaign this summer and shoot my Martini Henry!
fireman

Postby CarlL » 14 Sep 2017 18:58

Any chance of a hardback edition? Softback binding can be problematic in my hands as I bend spine to look at those maps and illustrations! CarlL
CarlL

Previous

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98