Eyewitness Accounts for Egypt 1882

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Eyewitness Accounts for Egypt 1882

Postby Mark » 30 Nov 2016 10:22

Dear All

I am looking for suggestions for eyewitness accounts from the British invasion of Egypt in 1882. This includes everything from the bombardment of Alexandria through to the Battle of Tel el-Kebir and the subsequent taking of Cairo etc. etc. Anything would be good, officers, soldiers sailors and so on, but also anything from the Egyptian point of view too.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Eyewitness Accounts for Egypt 1882

Postby Mark A. Reid » 30 Nov 2016 20:46

Hello Mark;

Hmmm, sounds like another book is on the way ...?

Told From the Ranks, edited by E. Milton Small, London, pub. by Andrew Melrose, 1897, contains two eyewitness accounts;

With the Guards in Egypt by Private Macaulay, Scots Guards, pp. 44-60
With the Guners at Tel-el-Kebir by Driver Wickenden, RHA, pp. 97-106

Regarding the Egyptian experience, I'll have a look and get back to you if I find anything, although I have slim hopes.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Maureene » 30 Nov 2016 23:48

The book Mark mentioned appears to be available as a reprint under a different title:

Tommy Atkins' War Stories. Fourteen First Hand Accounts From The Ranks Of The British Army During Queen Victoria's Empire.

http://www.helion.co.uk/tommy-atkins-wa ... mpire.html

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby Mark » 01 Dec 2016 10:23

Mark A. Reid wrote:Hello Mark;

Hmmm, sounds like another book is on the way ...?

Told From the Ranks, edited by E. Milton Small, London, pub. by Andrew Melrose, 1897, contains two eyewitness accounts;

With the Guards in Egypt by Private Macaulay, Scots Guards, pp. 44-60
With the Guners at Tel-el-Kebir by Driver Wickenden, RHA, pp. 97-106

Regarding the Egyptian experience, I'll have a look and get back to you if I find anything, although I have slim hopes.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks, Mark! These are perfect. And yes, there is another book on the way :wink:

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 01 Dec 2016 10:24

Maureene wrote:The book Mark mentioned appears to be available as a reprint under a different title:

Tommy Atkins' War Stories. Fourteen First Hand Accounts From The Ranks Of The British Army During Queen Victoria's Empire.

http://www.helion.co.uk/tommy-atkins-wa ... mpire.html

Cheers
Maureen

Thanks, Maureen! Much appreciated. :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby bill wright » 02 Dec 2016 23:29

DEAR MARK

My own book, "A TIDY LITTLE WAR The British Invasion Of Egypt, 1882" published by The History Press in 2009, is the most definitive account thus far and I looked at everything in the National Army Museum and National Maritime Museum as well as several other institutions, though time and cost prevented me from researching all the regimental museums where I am sure you might find something.....My suggestion would be to read my book and look at the sources. I also used some 200 printed books, over 20 vols of Parliamentary Papers and the evidence before the two Commissions (Transport Services & Army Hospital Services) after the war. Needless to say, I also read all of Wolseley`s letters stored at Hove and in the National Archives. You might find extra eye-witness stuff in local contemporary newspapers; Edward Spiers covers the war with many eye-witness statements gained from newspaper reports for Highland soldiers in his book, "The Scottish Soldier And Empire".....but a close study would pay dividends. If I can point you in any special way I am happy to do so. Drop me an email.
bill wright

Postby roconn » 04 Dec 2016 23:38

Bill

So near to Christmas too! My reading list just got expanded -- who is the preferred book seller, if you have one?

The reason I ask, is that Mike Snook (he is doubtless known to many at this site) that his publishers were incredibly speedy in getting the books delivered to a far flung corner in a mere 5 days from the time of ordering to actual receipt. The same holds true for volumes from Col Raugh pen.

rgds

roconn
roconn
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 05 Dec 2016 11:19

bill wright wrote:DEAR MARK

My own book, "A TIDY LITTLE WAR The British Invasion Of Egypt, 1882" published by The History Press in 2009, is the most definitive account thus far and I looked at everything in the National Army Museum and National Maritime Museum as well as several other institutions, though time and cost prevented me from researching all the regimental museums where I am sure you might find something.....My suggestion would be to read my book and look at the sources. I also used some 200 printed books, over 20 vols of Parliamentary Papers and the evidence before the two Commissions (Transport Services & Army Hospital Services) after the war. Needless to say, I also read all of Wolseley`s letters stored at Hove and in the National Archives. You might find extra eye-witness stuff in local contemporary newspapers; Edward Spiers covers the war with many eye-witness statements gained from newspaper reports for Highland soldiers in his book, "The Scottish Soldier And Empire".....but a close study would pay dividends. If I can point you in any special way I am happy to do so. Drop me an email.

Thanks Bill! I will certainly read your book, in fact I will order a copy today :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 05 Dec 2016 11:20

roconn wrote:Bill

So near to Christmas too! My reading list just got expanded -- who is the preferred book seller, if you have one?

The reason I ask, is that Mike Snook (he is doubtless known to many at this site) that his publishers were incredibly speedy in getting the books delivered to a far flung corner in a mere 5 days from the time of ordering to actual receipt. The same holds true for volumes from Col Raugh pen.

rgds

roconn

My publisher is Fonthill Media, but I am not sure how quickly they dispatch.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98