Memorial Plaque

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Memorial Plaque

Postby Michael T » 09 Oct 2016 06:16

Memorial plaque, Rocky Hill War Memorial Museum, Goulburn NSW dedicated to local men who enlisted for the NSW Contingent to the Sudan 1885.
Attachments
Goulburn Enlistment NSW  Sudan 1885.jpg
Goulburn Enlistment NSW Sudan 1885.jpg (242.21 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Michael T

Re: Memorial Plaque

Postby Mark A. Reid » 09 Oct 2016 14:57

Thanks Michael, very kind of you to share this image, I am most impressed with the people of Rocky Hill!

I find it rather unusual that it was unveiled so long after the campaign as these memorials usually appear when the veterans return or when they are entering old age. Nice to see that all of the men returned home safely. I wonder why the designer chose the Khedive's Star, a foreign award, instead of the more familiar Egypt Medal?

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Re: Memorial Plaque

Postby Bushman » 13 Oct 2016 08:12

Rocky Hill is the Hill behind Goulburn, NSW (pop circa 23000)which is a regional city about 2 hours drive (195Kms) on the Freeway south of Sydney. It contains on its summit (accessible by road) the town's memorials to all wars. It has a proud military history and a strong local Historical group which is responsible for the up keep and development of Rocky Hill as well as other historic sites. It is good to see local communities fostering their history and tradition. Re the Khedive Star I think that they probably saw that as the more attractive option.
Bushman
Participating Member

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98