An 1895 VR Pattern sword with a Leather covered metal Scabba

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

An 1895 VR Pattern sword with a Leather covered metal Scabba

Postby Paul Evenden » 26 Apr 2016 19:49

The parcelforce guy was kind enough to drop off a parcel for me today .Inside was this 1895 VR sword in great condition bar a few blade nicks with the shagreen tired but all there . The clincher for the purchase was the Leather covered metal scabbard..This was dopne I suspct to stop glistning in foriegn sunshine .With that thought and the date of the model and reign of Victoria ,along with the fact that the leather field service scabbard wasnt introduced until 1899.I believe this was done for the Sudan Egypt campaign.Unfortunnately it isnt a wilkinson so no corrobaration with their sales ledgers cant confirm my theory

Am i right in my assumptions ? Any comments and observations greatfully recieved

Paul
Paul Evenden

Re: An 1895 VR Pattern sword with a Leather covered metal Sc

Postby Mark A. Reid » 26 Apr 2016 22:12

Hello Paul;

Congratulations on receiving the new sword, always nice to unwrap presents! I should say at the outset that I know very little about swords, nor am I an Arabic linguist, but I was intrigued by your comment regarding the Sudan. I have a couple of observations for your consideration;

1) Some of the etching on the blade looks a little more crude than what I have seen on other Victorian-era swords. I know it's not a Wilkinson but I would have expected the quality of the " Dieu et mon Droit " motto, for example, to have been of a higher standard. What do you think?

2) My very poor Arabic tells me that the engraving on the blade is the Arabic letter " za, " whatever significance that may have!

3) The script on the guard, read from Right to Left, looks like the Arabic letter " waw, " then the numerals " 96 " then the letter " qaf " ( I think ) Again what this signifies is beyond me, I'm afraid.

4 ) This is NOT a pattern of sword that was carried by Egyptian officers of the Egyptian Army, theirs had a Star and Crescent on the guard for a start.

Thanks for sharing pictures of the sword, I hope other better-informed Members can provide more useful information. Good luck.

Cheers,

Mark
ps; My apologies. I just realised that I was probably looking at another sword, whose pictures are adjacent to this one on Photbucket, so please ignore my comments about the Arabic script. Sorry!
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Will Mathieson » 27 Apr 2016 04:18

The leather covering does convert the metal scabbard to a field scabbard. Scabbard rings have been removed and was worn with a Sam Browne belt. Leather stops a sword from being hot to the touch, ever touch a chrome bumper of a car that has sat in the sun?
As mentioned stitching is a bit crude possibly this conversion was done while on campaign.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby acanthus » 27 Apr 2016 08:19

Hi Paul,

I've always had likely for the 1895 pattern, and yours appears to a fine example with an interesting field service addition to the scabbard.

Regards,

Gordon
acanthus

Postby Paul Evenden » 28 Apr 2016 18:25

Hi guys thanks for all the comments . Matt Easton has identified the blades maker as Pillin which I should have realised with the proved disc. Also Will you are quite correct about the leather reducing the temperature of the scabbard.This I feel gives more credence to my assumption that it wad used in the Egypt & Sudan conflict. Indeed the leather is of a different type to that seen on the field scabbards of later use ,pointing again to a field alteration
Paul Evenden

Postby acanthus » 28 Apr 2016 20:16

Taking on board the comments about the stitching being crude, and the type of leather, I would add that the stitching (of a cruder nature) that is often encountered on scabbards produced locally in India, seems to have a different character to the stitching on Paul's scabbard covering. This could well point to the covering being applied to the scabbard whilst on service in a different region, which could easily have been Egypt, with the work carried out by a saddler of local craftsman.

Gordon
acanthus

Postby Paul Evenden » 29 Apr 2016 01:42

Hi Gordon many thanks will try and get a close up of the leather in the morning and that of a normal field scabbard to compare
Paul Evenden

Postby Paul Evenden » 30 Apr 2016 10:29

Good morning all

Here ae the photos to compare .Now it maybe that the normal field scabbard has had more work done to it but I personaly think the in field scabbard has a deifferant leather to it Camel skin /? I do not know the real answer and would be enlightened if any of you do please

cheers

Paul
Paul Evenden

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98