Positions of the Cavalry at Omdurman

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Positions of the Cavalry at Omdurman

Postby jplu2 » 11 Feb 2016 18:10

I do realise I am asking for a lot of help and not contributing much, but I was really hoping that somebody would be able to assist me.

I have acquired an item that belonged to C.J.Clerk of the 21st Lancers and found a source that states he was in front of Churchill at the start of the Cavalry Charge:

http://www.britishmedals.us/collections ... rison.html

“At the front of ”A” squadron were 2nd Lieutenant John Brinton of the 2nd Life Guards, and Lieutenants Churchill 4th
Hussars, Robert Smyth 21st Lancers and Frank Wormald 7th Hussars. Just ahead of them rode Major Henry Finn, an
Australian commanding the squadron and Lieutenant Charles Clerk 21st Lancers”

Unfortunately the author is unable to verify (although I believe him) his source and I am loathe to put something in print that I can't source.

Thus the question is does anyone know the source of the above information or does anyone know the positions of the Lancers at the beginning of the charge.

Thanks for all your help
jplu2

Re: Positions of the Cavalry at Omdurman

Postby Mark » 11 Feb 2016 22:05

This might not answer your question as such but you may find it of interest. According to Major Harry Finn of the 21st Lancers, who commanded 'A' Squadron during the charge at Omdurman:

“A” was the rear squadron of the column so was on the right when the Regt. wheeled into line & galloped to the attack. The 4 Squadrons were thus in line : (1) “A”, (2) the made up one under [Captain F. H.] Eaden; (3) “B” under [Major J.] Fowle; (4) “C” under [Captain W. M.] Doyne. The Colonel led in front of “B” …

Hoper this helps.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jplu2 » 12 Feb 2016 05:19

Thanks Mark

It certainly would tend to suggest that the statement regarding Clerk may be correct. Perhaps someone else may find the source.

Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it.
jplu2

Postby Mark » 12 Feb 2016 10:02

I have just finished a first draft of a chapter for my next book that focusses on the charge of the 21st Lancers at Omdurman. Before I move on to writing the next, I intend to have another trawl through my notes and sources to see if I have missed anything. If I find anything that might be of interest to you I will let you know.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jplu2 » 12 Feb 2016 13:33

Brilliant, thanks Mark.

The chap who wrote the article did so around 6 years ago and assures me that the positions were correct, but he couldn't remember the source. He did think it might have been from Terry Brighton's book although I don't have a copy of it to check.
jplu2

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98