Sudan Medal

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Sudan Medal

Postby Mark » 03 Nov 2015 12:01

Does any member have in their private collection an original Sudan Medal? If so, please could you PM me as I have a little request.

I am not trying to buy one or obtain any details of the recipient.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Sudan Medal

Postby crimea1854 » 03 Nov 2015 14:57

PM sent
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Derbys » 03 Nov 2015 15:32

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but thought I'd share this from my collection of miniature.
Attachments
Sudan Medal.JPG
Sudan Medal.JPG (26.01 KiB) Viewed 610 times
Derbys
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 03 Nov 2015 16:58

Thanks all! Request possibly may now have been met :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby mike snook » 03 Nov 2015 18:31

Don't you want to see mine? Doesn't look like that though. :D

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Mark » 06 Nov 2015 11:00

mike snook wrote:Don't you want to see mine? Doesn't look like that though. :D

M

I have seen your impressive rack Mike, makes my humble trio look very humble :lol:

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Pete Beach » 25 Jan 2016 16:11

Good day to all across the Big Pond.
I need your knowledge, expertise and patience in helping me to identify the correct medals won by my late Grandfather, Albert Edward Butler. My grandfather was in the Scottish Rifles/Rifle Brigade during the reconquest of the Sudan. He won the below listed medals/decorations while serving in the British Army. I am trying to replace the lost medals with original medals of that period. I have some confusion about the medals. Hoping you can help clarify.

'Nile Expedition 1898'..... Was a medal issued to the troops ? If so what does it look like?
'H.M the Queen's Soudan Medal 1898'.... then it states on his Military History Sheet.." with Clasp for Khartoum".
Here I am really confused. I know that the Queen's Medal did not come with any clasp's, however the Khedive's Medal awarded by the Egyptian Government did. Sooo, was my grandfather awarded both medals?? perhaps at different times... does not say in his record.
Lastly, Occupation of Crete...I have been informed that no medal was issued, however would he have gotten a ribbon or perhaps an annuity???
Also requiring clarification . My grandfather was in South Africa,1900, at the Siege of Ladysmith. He was wounded there fetching water for the troops and was eventually sent to the Isle of Wight to recover from his wounds. There is a mention of his being stationed in South Africa, but no mention of any medals won or of his wounds. In 1902 he was discharged from duty due to " his wounds" as stated in his Military History Sheet. My question is would he have been awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal without it being noted in his military history sheet? Perhaps at a later date after his discharge????
If you good folks can help me figure this out, I and he, would be very grateful. Eventually, after I have all of his decorations confirmed and purchased I plan on putting them in a shadow box for my children and their children to appreciate.

Awaiting your response.
Respectfully,
Pete
Pete Beach

Postby SWB » 25 Jan 2016 19:02

Hello Pete

What was his service number?

The Queen's & Khedive's Sudan medals were issued together.

Have you looked at the medal rolls on Ancestry?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Pete Beach » 25 Jan 2016 22:33

Greetings Meurig,

Sooo the medals were issued together. I did not know that. That makes sense. I have seen both medals together in a rack to be worn together on the jacket on several sights I have looked at. My grandfather's Service number is 4468. That is according to his Service Record at the top of that sheet. However, on his Short Service Form across the top of the form it says No. 4555 then there is his name and finally, Corps in which he served . That was the Rifle Brigade.
I hope that helps. I will do my best to answer additional questions. I am anxious to resolve this issue.

Pete

P.S. We haven't tried Ancestry.co.uk yet. A little expensive for us at this juncture.
Pete Beach

Postby crimea1854 » 26 Jan 2016 08:33

Pete

I can confirm that Private 4555 Albert Butler, 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade, is on the QSM roll with the clasp for Khartoum 1898 and the QSA medal roll with a single clasp for the 'Defence of Ladysmith'.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Pete Beach » 26 Jan 2016 12:49

Martin,

Martin, to your knowledge were the defenders of Ladysmith issued the Queen's South Africa Medal?? If so my grandfather also won that medal.
You are very kind to help me in my quest. It is very much appreciated. You found my grandfather.
Curious that it does not appear on his Service Record. Nothing about Ladysmith is there.

Pete
Pete Beach

Postby crimea1854 » 26 Jan 2016 15:11

Pete

QSA = Queen's South Africa Medal. Sorry, as a medal collector myself I assume everyone knows the abbreviations!!!

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Pete Beach » 26 Jan 2016 20:43

Martin,

I thought so. If you should ever find a medal with Private A.E. Butler engraved along the diameter.....well..... take good care of it.

Pete
Pete Beach

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98