Medal Roll for Sergeant Edgley, Alfred John

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Medal Roll for Sergeant Edgley, Alfred John

Postby Galvin » 09 Oct 2015 00:49

Can anybody help me with some family history research that I am doing. I am trying to research my great grandfather's military career and have come up against a brick wall on a couple of things. My great grandfather was Sergeant Alfred John Edgley (regimental number 2745). He was in the Army Hospital Corps (later Medical Staff Corps) and I understand that, as a soldier in a non-combatant role, was not entitled to the Queens Medal. His name does however appear in the medal rolls (Egypt 1882) so do not know if he ever received the Queen's medal and or the Khedive's Star. The entry has a date and a number that I do not understand so any help in interpreting this would be most welcome. The Entry reads: Sergeant Edgley, A.J, 2745., Whether entitled to the clasp for Tel el Kebis - No, then in the column headed 'whether serving with regiment or depot, died, discharged, deserted, etc' the entry reads 23413 - AG10 - 14/3/27. Can anyone tell me what this means please? Incidentally I know that he was posted to Malta in 1885 and seems to have been there until at least 1889. Muster and Pay lists at the National Archives have a note in one of the columns that seems to suggest that he may have been involved in the Suakin expedition in the Sudan. I have no record whatsoever of where, how or when he died or where he might be buried. Can anyone help with advice on this too. Any information relating to Sergeant Edgley would be really appreciated. Thank you. Frank Galvin
Galvin

Re: Medal Roll for Sergeant Edgley, Alfred John

Postby crimea1854 » 09 Oct 2015 09:09

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'Queens Medal'; he would have received the Egypt Medal dated 1882 and the Khedives Star, again dated 1882. Out of interest there is a WW1 medal card for him in the name of Edgeley with the same Regt No. serving as a private with the Army Hospital Corps, although this does not show the award of any medals, but again has the ref 23413 AG10.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98