'Gordon of Khartoum' TV documentary

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

'Gordon of Khartoum' TV documentary

Postby jf42 » 18 Jul 2015 16:44

I thoroughly enjoyed this human profile of Charles Gordon from 1982, told with consummate brio by Robert Hardy- (of whom I am a fan).

To my mind a perfect exemplar of how television can deal with history without resorting to whistles and bells. Barely dated although definitely Old School and in this case thoroughly appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1ZGGfHw_M
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Re: 'Gordon of Khartoum' TV documentary

Postby Josh&Historyland » 18 Jul 2015 22:01

I'd seen this ages ago & lost track of it, thanks. Hardy it seems had this whole other side, longbow expert historical documentary presenter. They don't make docs, or actors like this today.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 18 Jul 2015 22:47

Many thanks, jf42, for the link to this most enjoyable program. As both you and Josh have noted, Robert Hardy provides an entertaining narration to a sympathetic, 'though well balanced, overview of Gordon's life. It was grand to see some of the " location shots " in Khartoum, etc. as well as close ups of what I call " Gordonia, " artifacts from his life. It brought back memories of basking in admiration at the foot of the other Gordon statue in the RE barracks at Chatham, must return again soon, this time with my camera!

Thanks again,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » 19 Jul 2015 02:32

My pleasure, gentlemen.

I think that should have read 'humane', but 'human' at least does have the merit of being factually correct.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby HerbertKitch12 » 20 Jul 2015 14:09

Thanks for the link, will be watching that this evening.

I find it infuriating that there are hardly ever any documentaries about our colonial campaigns or documentaries about any of our wars these days bar the two world wars. The documentaries about Napoleon and Wellington recently whilst obviously not Victorian era were a breath of fresh air.
Perhaps I am biased but I think more about the British Empire and the Victorian era should be taught in schools, college and universities. And there should be plenty more documentaries and dramas made from this period rather than the endless line of docs about Tudor England. A lot of this stuff has relevance to what is happening in the world today and personally I find it disapointing that many are ignorant of this.

Sorry for the rant !
HerbertKitch12

Postby rd72 » 20 Jul 2015 15:56

Watched this last night.... Thanks so much for putting it up jf! Thoroughly enjoyed it... I enjoy listening to that style of presentation... Not many talk like that anymore... and certainly not in documentaries (that I have viewed recently)
Cheers,
Rob
rd72

Postby jf42 » 21 Jul 2015 11:10

HerbertKitch12 wrote:Thanks for the link, will be watching that this evening.

I find it infuriating that there are hardly ever any documentaries about our colonial campaigns or documentaries about any of our wars these days bar the two world wars. The documentaries about Napoleon and Wellington recently whilst obviously not Victorian era were a breath of fresh air.
Perhaps I am biased but I think more about the British Empire and the Victorian era should be taught in schools, college and universities. And there should be plenty more documentaries and dramas made from this period rather than the endless line of docs about Tudor England. A lot of this stuff has relevance to what is happening in the world today and personally I find it disapointing that many are ignorant of this.

Sorry for the rant !

Sadly, current tastes being what they are, unless the programme involved breast-beating for our Imperial sins (never knowingly undersold) and, preferably, dissection of the imbecilities, hypocrisy, and nastier tendencies of selected protagonists (ditto), such programmes would seem to be out of fashion.

That is why Robert Hardy's portrait of Gordon is so masterly; depicting a complex and troubled man who actually managed to live life on a heroic level, without gloating at his flaws or idiosyncracies and delivered with consummate style. An intelligent programme for intelligent viewers (Yes, that's us).

It's hardly any wonder Hardy identifies so closely with Winston Churchill. It would be intriguing to see how he dealt with John Nicholson or Burnaby. The list could go on.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Mark » 22 Jul 2015 09:10

I wasn't personally aware of this documentary, so thank you for sharing :)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby petergoose » 01 Aug 2015 00:54

Mark wrote:I wasn't personally aware of this documentary, so thank you for sharing :)

Mark

I didn't know about it either,just watched it on you tube. Pretty good. :)
petergoose

Postby Bushman » 05 Aug 2015 03:52

In terms of '
documentaries'
by media on these topics I well remember a documentary about 20 years ago on Rorkes Drift. The narrator had assembled some poor unfortunate descendants of participants in the battle who thought that they were just there to say that their own relatives should probably have received gallantry medals but their deeds had not been noted. The narrator however saw them as providing evidence for his contention that none of the VCs were worthy of being awarded especially those to Chard and Bromhead who were clearly typical incompetent degenerate members of the British upper class. This type of rubbish unfortunately indoctrinates members of the public who know no better. On my provider it was followed by another documentary promising great exposes on the War in North Africa. Here the thesis was that both both Rommel and Montgomery were unfeeling incompetents. Of the two Montgomery was the worst (he was after all British and this was British media) It was quite a trick for the show to finish without it explaining how the British won aaagh!
Bushman
Participating Member

Postby roconn » 07 Aug 2015 16:23

Not for one damned moment do I regret or apologize having been born a colonial of the greatest Empire ever...

now Central African roconn
roconn
Participating Member

Postby privatejones » 09 Aug 2015 18:03

Will try and watch this tonight. Thanks for posting the Youtube link jf42.

Barton
Billy Fish: He wants to know if you are gods.
Peachy Carnehan: Not gods - Englishmen. The next best thing.
privatejones

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98