6/1st Scottish Division R.A.

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

6/1st Scottish Division R.A.

Postby ontario » 15 Jun 2015 17:04

I would appreciate any information regarding the history of the Scottish division Royal Artillery and its role in the Egyptian campaign , especially during the a actions at El Teb and Tamaii

Arthur
ontario

Re: 6/1st Scottish Division R.A.

Postby Mark A. Reid » 16 Jun 2015 14:33

Hello Arthur:

6 Battery, 1st Brigade, Scottish Division, Royal Artillery took over the guns and transport of an Egyptian Army Artillery battery in preparation for General Graham's expedition to Suakin in 1884. When the battery arrived at Suakin their numbers were increased with a draft of 84 men from 1/2 RA and G Battery RHA who were taken off the homeward-bound troopship JUMNA. The Battery Commander, Major Lloyd, also acquired 8 x 7 pdr. guns and formed his men into two batteries of four guns each.

The men were deployed at both El-Teb and Tamaai, suffering two casualties at the former. The battery was again employed during the 1885 campaign, being reinforced with a draft of 50 men and 80 horses from England. After the end of the campaign the battery remained behind at Suakin as part of the garrison.

I hope this provides a base from which to start your research, good luck!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Re: 6/1st Scottish Division R.A.

Postby ontario » 16 Jun 2015 15:18

Many thanks Mark , I appreciate the information.

Arthur
ontario

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98