Pipe Music, Tel El-Kebir

For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Pipe Music, Tel El-Kebir

Postby Larmo » 08 Mar 2015 18:20

Greetings Gents..a small question regarding the music played by the Pipers of the Highland Brigade during the assault at Tel El-Kebir. I read where the pipe bags were kept deflated during the night march to the Egyptian lines (The Campaign of 1882 in Egypt, Col. J.F. Maurice). Not knowing how much time it takes to inflate a bag to have it ready for playing and being a real beginner in learning about this campaign, did anyone ever note what music was played when the men went up and over, each regiment doing their own thing, or perhaps a piece of music agreed upon in advance?..
Cheers

Larry
Larmo

Re: Pipe Music, Tel El-Kebir

Postby Ron Abbott » 20 Apr 2015 12:48

It takes seconds to inflate the bag. But even without the bag inflated the slightest bit of air pressure and the drone reeds could sound.

At any rate, Grant; the Pipe Major (or Serjeant-Piper) of the 79th Camerons is reputed to have played 'The March of The Cameron men' at Tel El Kebir.

John MacDonald, Pipe Major of the Black Watch is reputed to have played 'Heilan' Laddie' at Tel El Kebir.

So it would appear that the individual regimental tunes are those that were played.
Ron Abbott

Re: Pipe Music, Tel El-Kebir

Postby Larmo » 22 Apr 2015 03:17

Hi Ron

Thank you very much for this information, don't know why I felt the need to ask this question but I couldn't imagine the Highland Brigade going into battle without pipe music. May I ask if these accounts appear in period publications written by the men themselves or unit histories? In either case I'd like add copies to my small, but growing library if any might be available.

To their Honor, thought it might be enjoyable to add a music link, here's the March of the Cameron Men on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRhZHI_Xb8g, it seems to flow into Cock O' the North (one of my favorites) but the photo montage does provide some glimpses of men wearing Egypt medals.

And here's Highland Laddie by the London Scottish with a touch of Black Bear thrown in.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy965Hv ... y965HvXK5Y

Great stuff, great history...

Thanks again...Larry
Larmo

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98