For all discussions relating to the Egyptian and Sudanese campaigns fought between 1882 and 1898.

Re: Abu Klea - Royal Naval Bde participation

Postby crimea1854 » 01 Jun 2009 22:40

Bryan

I'm no expert, but I believe there were 53 men and five officers in the contingent who manned a Gardiner Gun on one corner of, and just outside the square. This contingent appears to have be drawn from HMS Alexandra. These men suffered quite high casualties when the gun jammed, and while trying to clear it, was over-run by the Dervish charge. From the Naval Brigade two officers were killed and two wounded, with six other ranks killed and 9 wounded. Lord Charles Beresford was involved in this melee, and despite being knocked to the ground was uninjured.

Within the last couple of days a medal to one of these men, who was also on HMS Alexandra in 1882, was recently sold by a dealer. I had for a little while been considering buying it, although a departure from my normal collecting area, which just proves 'he who hesitates is lost'!

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby mike snook » 04 Jun 2009 06:46

edit
Last edited by mike snook on 04 Jun 2009 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby mike snook » 04 Jun 2009 06:59

Bryan

Don't you think it's a bit naughty to ask a history question on the forum, in order at the end of the day to obtain some free research on medals in your collection, and then entirely disregard the answer. Martin has taken the trouble to give you a perfectly correct answer to the question you posed. What was the strength of the Naval Brigade at the Battle of Abu Klea - 5 officers and 53 other ranks. No more. No less.

I think you owe him a beer, as they say.

The second division of the naval brigade joined the Desert Column at Gubat, after the desert fights, and no doubt qualified for the medal and thus account for the difference.

Now you owe me one too.

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Re: .Abu Klea Naval Brigade

Postby clivefarmer » 05 Dec 2017 16:30

I am a researcher for the Imperial War Museum , locating and recording war memorials . In St Marys Extra Cemetery Southampton I came across a gravestone with the following inscription ."In loving memory of Walter J Miller late armourer of HMS Monarch who fell at the battle of Abu Klea Soudan Egypt Jan 17th 1885 " I have assumed that this is not the burial place of Walter Miller , it is fairly common to find on a family gravestone a memorial to someone who is buried elsewhere . Miller was born in St Helier Jersey 30/1/1857 . He served on several ships , Monarch , Temeraire , Excellent , Invincible .and he appears on two medal rolls located on Ancestry ( one noting that his medals were sent to his mother ) I assume he was part of the Naval Brigade , and died when the square was broken . The dod is one day later than the battle so I assume he died later from wounds This is not my area of expertise but I thought it might be of some interest . If I have any of this wrong I will be glad to be corrected ,

Clive Farmer
clivefarmer

Re: .

Postby crimea1854 » 06 Dec 2017 23:40

Clive

There is an account of his death in the London Gazette, which indicates that he was actually killed during the battle:
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/25465/page/1914

Regarding his medal, since he was present during the bombardment of Alexandria in 1882 he would have already been in possession of a dated (1882) medal and clasp, so I would assume his mother received the two further clasps to add to this medal - but who knows there might be two medals in existence!!

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Return to Egypt & Sudan 1882-98