Maiwand - question with regard to Captain John Slade

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars of 1839-42 and 1878-80.

Maiwand - question with regard to Captain John Slade

Postby krakajac » 23 Jul 2013 12:36

Greetings - my apologies for joining the forum...and posting a question straight off the bat!

I'm an amateur model-maker, and currently gearing up to start work on a small diorama relating to the Battle of Maiwand.

My query relates to Captain John Slade, who took command of the E/B RHA during the retreat from Maiwand. I believe he earned the moniker, 'Johnnie of Maiwand' at some point.

Back in 2009, some memorabilia that had belonged to Slade was put up for auction in the UK. My understanding is that some of the items made their way back to family members (which was nice to hear). One of the items up for auction was a typed account of the battle written by Slade. The only image I could locate of the account was the following (I'm sorry it's so small...but the auction website where I located it wouldn't allow me to view/save it in a larger format).

My question - has Captain Slade's typed account ever been made public - or published in any form? For a number of reasons, I'm quite keen to have a read of it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Craig.
krakajac

Re: Maiwand - question with regard to Captain John Slade

Postby Maureene » 24 Jul 2013 08:09

Craig, a few sentences from Slade’s papers are quoted in this 2009 Daily Mail article by Geoffrey Wansell, which perhaps is an indication that the accounts are available somewhere.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-now.html

Perhaps the Firepower Museum could advise
http://www.firepower.org.uk/index.php/r ... l-library/

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby krakajac » 24 Jul 2013 12:06

Thanks for those suggestions, Maureen.

I've read other articles similar to the Daily Mail one - so they must have got their info from somewhere (perhaps a book). And I'll be sure to make some inquires via the Firepower Museum.

Regards,
Craig.
krakajac

Postby Liz » 18 Aug 2013 07:37

Craig

If Slade's diary was ever published in its entirety, it has not made it onto Google Books yet but there are several pre-WW2 books that quote from Slade's diary. How much you can see of these depends on where you are but you can glean a surprising amount of info on things just from snippet view - enough to decide whether a book is worth chasing. Cheers,

Liz
Liz
Forum Moderator

Return to First & Second Afghan Wars 1839-80