Maiwand painting

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars of 1839-42 and 1878-80.

Maiwand painting

Postby Pgeddes » 16 Jul 2013 03:38

I wonder if anyone can give me a little information on this painting. I am particular keen to know who painted it and where it is currently housed.

http://www.britishbattles.com/images/ma ... aiwand.jpg

On a matter of detail, am I right in thinking that the officer pictured is supposed to be Lt. Chute? It looks rather like him, although the hairstyle differs from the only photograph I have seen of him. He is often cited as a possible member of the Last Eleven. Is there evidence that the Regimental Colour was carried by the Last Eleven though? The report on their stand came via an Afghan artillery officer. Is he known to have mentioned seeing the Colour being carried by any of the men he was so impressed by? It was always my understanding that 2Lt. Olivey (who was killed in the garden) was the last officer known to have carried the Regimental Colour. Therefore is this a piece of artistic license or is it based more closely on the Afghan officer's report?

Thanks

Paul
Pgeddes

Re: Maiwand painting

Postby Mark » 16 Jul 2013 18:09

I believe this painting is the "Last Stand of the 66th Foot" by Peter Archer.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Pgeddes » 17 Jul 2013 12:39

Thanks Mark. Much appreciated. Any idea where it hangs?

Paul
Pgeddes

Postby mac » 17 Jul 2013 19:03

Paul

I think it is in the Regimental Museum in Salisbury, or at least a copy is. If its only a copy then the original could well be with one of the RIFLES battalions. I think it was done by archer when the 1st Bn Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire and Wiltshire ) were based in Osnabruck West Germany in the 1980s. Be careful of what they look like because I think the last 11 figures were based on serving members of 1 DERR at the time.

Hope that helps

Cheers

MAC
mac

Postby Mark » 17 Jul 2013 22:59

I have done some digging but drawn a blank on finding the location of the original. Can anyone confirm Mac's thoughts above?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby mike snook » 17 Jul 2013 23:00

They were indeed and I know who the real-life model for the officer is. Not sure he'd want it broadcast, however, so shan't say!

Lieutenant Richard Chute, acting quartermaster, (though he was a line officer not a proper quartermaster), is said to have been one of the two officers in the last eleven. The other is Lieutenant Charles Hinde (31), adjutant of the Bombay Grenadiers. The others were unknown privates or JNCOs of the 66th.

The Colours were carried into action by 2 Lts Walter Olivey (Queen's) and Arthur Honywood (19) (Regimental). Colonel Galbraith was seen kneeling with the Queen's Colour, which I take to mean he was attempting to establish a rallying point. It was next seen in the care of 2Lt Harry Barr (19). Honywood was badly wounded in the legs but kept hold of the Regimental Colour until he was shot dead, crying out 'Men, what shall we do to save this.' The colour was then picked up by Lieutenant Maurice Rayner (23), the adjutant, but he was soon badly wounded and then killed, while Pte Michael Darby (also KIA), the battalion's bass drummer, was trying to assist or defend him. In the meantime Harry Barr and Sergeant Major Cuppage (I think his name might have been Alexander or I might have dreamt it) had both been killed attempting to get the Queen's Colour away. It is not my understanding that either of the Colours were flourished by the last eleven but who can say for sure. The colours are an indispensable part of 'British' last stand iconography (American too for that matter - think of all those Custer portrayals) and I would venture to propose that their inclusion shouldn't bother anybody unduly.

There's a 25,000 word chapter on Maiwand for them what's interested in my Into the Jaws of Death. The other good recourse for further reading is Col Leigh Maxwell's My God Maiwand but you'd have to pay a bit more for that and might struggle to get hold of it.

Regards

M
Last edited by mike snook on 17 Jul 2013 23:28, edited 2 times in total.
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Mark » 17 Jul 2013 23:14

Thanks for the additional info, Mike!

If anyone hasn't read 'Into the Jaws of Death' then please do as it is an excellent read!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby mike snook » 17 Jul 2013 23:30

Yes it is Alexander Cuppage.

Well done Mark; that's you, me and the copy-editor who have read it now!

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby The Scorer » 15 Aug 2013 09:36

mike snook wrote:Well done Mark; that's you, me and the copy-editor who have read it now! M

So have I .... and I've even bought it!!

:)
The Scorer

Postby mike snook » 15 Aug 2013 11:54

And then there were four....

Well done Phil. Hope you enjoy it. Joking aside I have no idea how many copies it has sold. I tend not to worry too much about the back-trail when there is so much unexplored territory ahead. What to do next?

As ever

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby timothylrose » 15 Aug 2013 12:35

Mike make that at least 5 - happy to put my hand up to reading your as always excellent books - keep the faith (and the royalties!) atb Tim
timothylrose
Participating Member

Postby mike snook » 15 Aug 2013 14:46

Good man Tim. That's at least £7.50 then!

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby Pgeddes » 31 Aug 2013 01:30

I was under the impression that it was the Regimental Colour, which had previously been carried by Honeywood, which Galbraith was kneeling with when he was shot and that the Queen's Colour which Olivey had earlier refused to give up was being carried by Barr when he was shot close to Galbraith. Surely Honeywood, who was already wounded, took up the Regimental Colour again after Galbraith was killed and was shot again himself before exhorting his fellow soldiers to save it. Rayner then took up the Colour, before being killed, with Darby staying with his body until also killed. By all the accounts I have read, Olivey then took up the Regimental Colour (the Queen's Colour having been left behind where Barr fell) and was seen waving it in the garden before being killed, whereupon Cuppage took it up.

On the other matter, I'll be buying your book too, once I've got the got the gas bill out of the way.

Paul
Pgeddes

Return to First & Second Afghan Wars 1839-80