Websites on the Anglo-Afghan Wars

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars of 1839-42 and 1878-80.

Websites on the Anglo-Afghan Wars

Postby Mark » 15 Aug 2007 21:48

This website is a developing online resource for anyone interested in knowing more about the Second Anglo-Afghan War of 1878-1880. It is also the home of the Second Afghan War database project, a collection of names, family histories and stories concerning those who participated in this lesser-known campaign from the days Queen Victoria's British Empire.

http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Mark
Forum Administrator

BBC Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

Postby Garen » 02 May 2008 13:35

I just thought I'd mention that my Afghan War website got a nice mention in the May 2008 edition of the BBC's 'Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Their 'Best Websites...' section is focusing on 'army ancestors' this time round. It got 4.5 stars (the National Army Museum only got 3... :D )

Obviously WWI gets the most coverage, which does make sense, but it highlights the relative dearth of Victorian War resources (and interest?).

Not sure about the 'disastrous March from Kabul to Kandahar', mind you...

The Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 www.angloafghanwar.info
Garen
Forum Moderator

Re: BBC Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

Postby Mark » 02 May 2008 14:45

Garen

Congratulations! That should boost your visitor numbers up even further this month.

Did the BBC contact you about your site or did you just read it in the magazine?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Jonathan » 02 May 2008 15:03

Garen,
Congratulations! A well-deserved recognition, too. Your site is the premier online resource for the Second Anglo-Afghan War. Its content, including the database, make it a one-of-a-kind resource, and the site is well-designed and easy to navigate.

Well done!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Garen » 02 May 2008 15:06

Thanks Mark. They contacted me before-hand as they wanted a hi-res image (not used in the end), but also sent a complimentary copy, which was very nice of them. My website has appeared in a couple of other family history mags in past years, but I tend to only find out about them from other people later.

As they noted me as 'best for links', and as the VW forum is the top link on the left-hand side-bar, it may even be good for the forum!

Actually, my links page needs an overhaul - and I've long had plans for a museum link resource to accompany it. So much to do.

Thanks Jonathan for the kind words too!
Garen
Forum Moderator

Postby Berkshire Dragon » 10 Jun 2008 21:18

Nice one Garen!

I have to say that I thought it very mean of the magazine not to go the whole hog and make it 5 stars.... :lol: Maybe next time eh?

Mark
Berkshire Dragon
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 10 Jun 2008 21:28

I certainly think Garen's site deserves 5 stars, I challenge anyone to find another Anglo-Afghan War related web site that is as good!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Websites on the Anglo-Afghan Wars

Postby Garen » 09 Feb 2010 17:26

Hello all

I'm not sure if you've seen this (and apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum) but the Feb 2010 issue of the BBC Who Do You Think You Are? magazine features both my Anglo-Afghan War website ('best overall') and the Victorian Wars Forum ('best for advice'). It's in their Best Websites For... section, which this month is 'Researching Ancestors in the Victorian Wars'.

As the featured site, I got to pick a star site and expound on that for 100 words. I wasn't allowed to pick the VWF (my first choice, naturally!) as they were already featuring it, so I chose the 'Soldiers of the Queen' website instead.

Here be cuttings:

Thanks to Jonathan Warren for featuring them - well done us!

Best - Garen
Garen
Forum Moderator

Re: Websites on the Anglo-Afghan Wars

Postby Mark » 09 Feb 2010 21:07

Garen

That's great news! Thank you for bringing it to our attention :D

A big well done to both the VWF and your Anglo-Afghan War web site!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to First & Second Afghan Wars 1839-80