British regiments that served in the First Afghan War

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars of 1839-42 and 1878-80.

British regiments that served in the First Afghan War

Postby Mark » 17 Jan 2008 20:49

Cavalry
3rd (The King’s Own) Hussars
4th (Queen’s Own) Hussars
16th (The Queen’s) Lancers

Infantry
1st Bengal European Regiment
2nd (The Queen’s Royal) Regiment of Foot
9th (The East Norfolk) Regiment of Foot
13th (1st Somersetshire Light Infantry) Regiment of Foot
17th (Royal Leicestershire) Regiment of Foot
31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment of Foot
40th (2nd Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot
41st (The Welch) Regiment of Foot
44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: British regiments that served in the First Afghan War

Postby Liz » 21 Jun 2008 05:29

And what seems to have been the most frequently massacred regiment in British military annals - this war being a case in point:

Infantry
44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby kaiser » 21 Jun 2008 07:18

Liz the sad thing is they were never issued the medal only one member of the Regiment that lived through the retreat Dr Brydon recived the medal
Mon General, if by you action the British Army is annihilated, England will never pardon France, and France will not be able to pardon you! Always looking for medals to the Irish Regiments: 18th, 27th, 83rd, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th,
kaiser

Postby Liz » 22 Jun 2008 04:20

Then maybe Mark needs to change the title of his list... Seriously, am surprised to hear that Dr Brydon was the only survivor of the 44th to get a medal. Would you mind posting more info about your sources? Dr Brydon may have been the only man to have made it to Jellalabad, but there was at least one other survivor of the 44th: Captain Souter.

Other officers may have survived. According to http://members.tripod.com/Glosters/FAfghan.htm, a memorial erected in Alverstoke Church near Gosport reads
Sacred to the memory of Colonel T. Mackrell, ADC to Her Majesty. Major W.B. Scott, Captain T. Swaine, Captain R.B. McRea, Captain T.R. Leighton, Captain T. Robinson, Captain F.C. Collins, Lieutenant W.H. Dodgin, Lieutenant W.G. White, Lieutenant W.G. Wade, Lieutenant H. Cadett, Lieutenant S. Swinton, Lieutenant F.J.C. Fortye, Lieutenant A.W. Gray, Paymaster T. Bourke, Lieut. and Qr. Master R.B. Halahan, Surgeon J. Harcourt, Assistant Surgeon W. Balfour, Assistant Surgeon W. Primrose. And 645 non-commissioned officers and soldiers of the 44th Regiment, who fell upon the field of battle in the disastrous Affghan War of 1841 and 1842. They sank with arms in their hands unconquered, but overpowered by the united horrors of climate, treachery, and barbarous warefare; their colours saved by Captain J. Souter, one of the few survivors, hang above this stone, which is erected to their memory by the officers of the 44th Regiment, June 1844.

Some enlisted men of the 44th may also have survived. According to Lady Sale's journal, which was published in 1843, six men of the 44th were captured on 10 January 1842 in the company of Mr Magrath, a surgeon of the 37th NI; up to eight men of the 44th or artillery survived the 'last stand' at Gundamuk on 13 January 1842 and were captured along with Captain Souter. You can read and search Lady Sale's journal for yourself at http://books.google.com.au/books?id=5f6vHAAACAAJ&dq=Lady+Sale+Journal.

Note: There is a story that, of the two colours carried by the 44th, the Queen's Colour was lost and only the Regimental Colour was saved by Souter and made it back to England. Can anybody out there confirm or deny this story? Please post the details on this forum!

Update added 30-Jun-2008: For further discussion about this and other 'lost' British colours, see separate topic created 24-Jun-2008 at http://www.victorianwars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=471.
Last edited by Liz on 30 Jun 2008 02:13, edited 2 times in total.
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 22 Jun 2008 11:50

I suddenly realised that I had missed off the 44th Foot from the list starting this thread ... however I was well aware the Regiment took part in this campaign. Apologies for this guys but I have no idea why I missed them off - old age!? :P To make amends I have now added the 44th.

Are there any other British regiments that I have missed? Also does anyone have a list of Indian regiments that took part? If so I would love to add them.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby kaiser » 22 Jun 2008 19:50

Mark if the 1st Afghan war inclueds the Ghuznee medal i'll start with this

Indian units:

Cavalry; 2nd Bengal light Cavalry
3rd Bengal light Cavalry
4th Local Horse (Skinners)
1st Bombay Light Cavalry
Poona Horse

Artillery; 2-2nd Brigade Bengal Horse Artillery
2-6th Battalion Bengal Foot Artillery
3rd & 4th Troop Bombay Artillery
2-2nd Brigade Bombay Foot Artillery
1st Coy Golundaz Battalion

Infantry; 16th Bengal NI
48th Bengal NI
35th Bengal NI
19th Bombay NI

Troor destroyed around Cabul 1842; 1-1st Brigade Bengal Horse Artillery
5th Bengal Light Cavalry
5th Bengal NI
37th Bengal NI
54th Bengal NI

Defence of Jellalabad; 5th Bengal Light Cavalry (1 Sqd)
2-6th Bengal Artillery
35th Bengal NI

The Avenging Army, Pollocks Command; 1st & 10th Bengal Light Cavalry
3rd Irregular Cavalry
3-1st & 3-2nd Bengal Horse Artillery
2-2nd & 4-6th Bengal Artillery
5th Coy Bengal Sappers & Miners
26th, 60th, 30th, 53rd, 64th, 6th, 33rd Bengal NI
Mon General, if by you action the British Army is annihilated, England will never pardon France, and France will not be able to pardon you! Always looking for medals to the Irish Regiments: 18th, 27th, 83rd, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th,
kaiser

Return to First & Second Afghan Wars 1839-80