Question re: 66th (Berkshire) puttees at Maiwand...

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars of 1839-42 and 1878-80.

Re: Question re: 66th (Berkshire) puttees at Maiwand...

Postby mike snook » 27 Apr 2017 01:45

Poor chap. I recollect a RRF subaltern who seemed to act as a bullet magnet. I went out to the ICP after his latest narrow shave to find his NCOs telling him, 'You stand over there sir, we'll be over here.' Became a vicar in the end...with good reason. Hey ho.

As ever

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby jf42 » 27 Apr 2017 07:02

"It is the job of the young officers to show the men how to die well"- analysis allegedly shared with visiting American NCO by Black Watch sergeants in Korea.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby mike snook » 27 Apr 2017 08:49

All

I went back to find the reference to the kullas of the Bombay Grenadiers and, reading it in context, don't now consider that it can be taken as necessarily proving that Jacob's Rifles must also have had khaki turbans. It comes from Lt Bray, 66th Regt, and the salient passage reads as follows:

I began a move towards the baggage. We had hardly begun the move when it was evident that the buildings behind were occupied by the enemy, as shots came from them quickly. At the same time a cloud of dust rose up in front of us and any number of Afghans showed up in it, on whom we fired. Suddenly mixed up with them, and drifting across our front, we saw helmets, and the red peaked caps the Grenadiers wore inside their turbans. So we had to stop firing and went back a little to clear the houses, now on our flank, from which a heavy fire came...

He says nothing further of relevance to the particular matter of dress.

So the red kullas serve as an indicator of the presence of friendly forces and he does not use them to particularly identify one set of sepoys from the other set of sepoys.

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Previous

Return to First & Second Afghan Wars 1839-80