Task Organization of the Army of the Indus

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars of 1839-42 and 1878-80.

Task Organization of the Army of the Indus

Postby ArmyJ » 17 Dec 2015 19:51

As I slowly come to the conclusion of my novel about the First Afghan War, I looked back on the months and months of research, sketches, and notes that I've compiled. I realized that in the process of writing I created a product out of necessity that didn't exist in any format that I could find. Namely, a task org of the Army of the Indus, then the Army of Occupation by phase. It's not pretty, but it was my go-to reference tool for units by time and place, along with commanders that I could find. I only went down to the regimental level, but I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in the product. Might as well share the wealth. I'd also be really grateful to hear if anyone has any additions/corrections to it.
ArmyJ

Re: Task Organization of the Army of the Indus

Postby DiGi » 06 Jan 2016 20:31

Hi ArmyJ

I'm in the process of compiling a book about my 2 x great grandfather's life in the 40th Regiment of Foot from 1825 to 1846. He sailed to India from Australia in 1829, took part in the taking of Karachi and marched with General Nott to meet General Pollock at Kabul in 1842. I was never really interested in armies as such but my interest in writing about my 2 x great grandfather was sparked by the fact that I could find out so much more information about him than anyone else in my family tree. I'm not sure what you mean by a "task org" but if it means what I think it means I've probably got one! That included making up a chronological list of where the regiment was and what they encountered along the way. I've transcribed most of the muster rolls from 1825 to 1846 for the 40th Regiment of Foot and read several books, online and in paper form, including the Historical Records of the 40th Regiment, newspapers etc. From the muster rolls, books and other information I've been able to compile a note of exactly where they were, what life was like for them and the names of many of the men who served in the regiment, apart from officers whose details are always well documented anyway. My interest is only really about the 40th Regiment of Foot though I've noted other regiments that served alongside them.

I'm not sure if anything I've found out would be of interest to you. No doubt you'll have read most of what I'm using.
DiGi

Re: Task Organization of the Army of the Indus

Postby ArmyJ » 09 Jan 2016 04:13

DiGi,

sorry, American military officer, forgot who my audience was :) Task org means task organization, which is somewhat misleading. A better description would be chain of command/organization. A line graph showing commanders and units. I did the broad strokes product for the entire force. I haven't done the Army of Retribution because my book ends (so far) after the massacre and the beginning of the seige of Jellalabad. I'd love to see what you have and share my own. Feel free to shoot me an email at
jburgess970@gmail.com

all the best!
ArmyJ

Return to First & Second Afghan Wars 1839-80