Looking for image of General Thomas Baker

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars of 1839-42 and 1878-80.

Looking for image of General Thomas Baker

Postby Mad Guru » 10 Oct 2015 09:28

Hello all,

I am trying to find a photo or painting depicting General Sir Thomas Durand Baker, who as a Brigadier commanded the Second Infantry Brigade of the Kabul Field Force under General Roberts in 1879, and led the British attack during the battle of Charasiab, and I believe died in 1893, having attained the rank of Lieutenant General.

I have tried the usual Googling without success. If anyone could point me towards an online image it would be of great use to me and very much appreciated.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this request!

Yours Truly,

Ethan Reiff
(aka: Mad Guru)
Mad Guru

Re: Looking for image of General Thomas Baker

Postby Frogsmile » 12 Oct 2015 20:54

Have you tried the Anne S K Brown collection, Ethan: http://library.brown.edu/cds/catalog/ca ... type=basic ?

Also, the National Army Museum research facility: http://www.nam.ac.uk/research
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Mad Guru » 13 Oct 2015 02:45

Thanks, Frogsmile!

I hadn't searched their individual sites until just now when I used the links you very graciously provided! Unfortunately no positive results.

However, since first starting this thread a couple of days ago, I did hear back re: an image at the Royal Collection Trust, whose written description fits what I am looking for. Unfortunately they have not yet photographed the c.1880 photo in question so as to turn it into a digital image, which means I will have to pay a rather stiff fee for them to do so and then send me a digital copy -- at least I think that's what they would do, as I doubt the price, high as it is, would cover a hard-copy of the image, but maybe it would.

I still haven't decided whether or not to spend the money needed to get a copy of the image, though at this point I am unfortunately somewhat convinced that is probably my only chance to get such an image, as I really doubt any has escaped my intense and ongoing online searches... but you never know for sure. I may send individual email inquiries to NAM and the Anne SK Brown collection to see if they can perhaps dig something up in their own archives which is not yet available on their websites.

Again, thanks very much for taking the time and making the effort to help me out, it is very much appreciated!

Best,

Ethan

PS Funny, I recently visited the Anne SK Brown collection at the John Hay Library at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, for the first time ever, and was somewhat awestruck by their vast collection of toy soldiers, which includes a large number of Victorian British and Indian pieces.
Mad Guru

Postby sjwalker51 » 31 Oct 2015 23:59

Hi Mad Guru, I think I've found your man! There's a copy of his 1893 obituary, with a portrait, from the ILN. You can download a copy very cheaply from the 'look and learn' website, which is an excellent resource for stuff like this. I'd post it here myself but think it's a copyrighted image.

http://www.lookandlearn.com/history-ima ... omas+baker
sjwalker51

Postby sjwalker51 » 01 Nov 2015 00:04

http://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/ca ... t_id=45371

Also of interest - pretty comprehensive biography accompanying his medals when auctioned in 2005 - isn't t'internet wonderful!
sjwalker51

Postby Mad Guru » 02 Nov 2015 20:13

WOW!!! Thank you so much, sjwalker51!!!! I tracked down a picture of him listed but not visible at the Royal Archive Collection and was ready to pay a decent sum for it to be digitally reproduced and sent to me, but the only way to pay without a British check was by sending my cc info via regular email, which I was hesitant to do. Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to help me out!

Yours Truly,

Ethan (aka: Mad Guru)

PS re: t'internet, I wholeheartedly agree!
Mad Guru

Postby Liz » 30 Nov 2015 13:24

Re: photo c1880 held by the Royal Collection Trust, looks like they may have digitised it, see https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/coll ... er-1837-93
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby Mad Guru » 07 Dec 2015 08:46

Thanks very much, Liz! I used a period photo I was able to find of the General's chief-of-staff, but will now be able to replace it with this far more legitimate one you were kind enough to point me to. Thanks again!
Mad Guru

Return to First & Second Afghan Wars 1839-80