Queen' Own Corps of Guides pouch belt

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars of 1839-42 and 1878-80.

Queen' Own Corps of Guides pouch belt

Postby Andrew60 » 27 Dec 2017 11:07

Hi all,

I'm looking for information and pictures of the pouch and pouch belt worn by officers of the Queen' Own Corps of Guides, during the second Afghan war.

Andrew
Andrew60

Re: Queen' Own Corps of Guides pouch belt

Postby jf42 » 27 Dec 2017 12:15

Andrew- greetings

The photos taken by Burke are a good starting point:

QOC GUIDES Afghanistan (Burke).jpg
QOC GUIDES Afghanistan (Burke).jpg (66.41 KiB) Viewed 467 times

National Army Museum caption here:
https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php ... 5-04-43-29.

This item I believe is from a little later in the C19th but it seems to be the same:
Queens Own Corps of Guides Cavalry, Late C19th .jpg
Queens Own Corps of Guides Cavalry, Late C19th .jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 467 times

Here is another Burke photo. No time to download and resize. It's amazing what you'll find via Mr G**gle:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Queen ... ko0YnSgGaM:
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Andrew60 » 28 Dec 2017 18:17

Thanks a lot jf42
Andrew60

Postby acanthus » 28 Dec 2017 22:39

Hi,
I believe the colour photo captioned "Queens Own Corps of Guides Cavalry, Late C19th" is misleading on a number of counts, but in no way reflects on the comments made by jf42. It seems that as soon as people see a drab tunic with drab lace, it is described as Guides whether correct or otherwise. I believe this particular image was posted by an eBay seller. Incorrect identification of such tunics is compounded by the fact that other Indian Army regiments also wore drab tunics with drab lace and red (Scarlet) facings.

- Guides officer wore Red Velvet facings, and the cuffs had a special Bengal pattern knot.

- Guides Cavalry did not were Rifles pattern tunics.

- In full-dress, the Guides pouch-belt was brown leather with silver fittings; (curb style) chain all around the edge of the belt, and the prickers were attached to a regimental pattern boss with chains, and the prickers went into a special regimental pattern plate. The Silver buckle tip and slide were also of regimental pattern. Guides dress shoulder belts are exceedingly rare.

- Their undress belt was brown leather with Silver of white metal fittings, buckle tip and slide, chains and prickers, and I believe the pricker plate was not oval. The undress pouch in general terms had the same devices as on the waist plate, which was the title GUIDES displayed in a curve, below this the Guides monogram which was the initials C (Corps) G (Guides) entwined in double reverse.

- The Guides Patrol Jackets and undress jackets had pointed cuffs faced red, and the collars also faced red; braid on Patrol Jacket collars and cuffs.

- The tunic in the coloured photo is not Guides.
acanthus

Postby jf42 » 29 Dec 2017 02:57

Thanks acanthus for pointing out that error. My apologies for a hasty posting. (Red Facings, hits head against wall).
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Return to First & Second Afghan Wars 1839-80