Canada’s, Strathcona’s Horse’, Second South African War

For all discussions relating to military activities in Canada, 1837-1901.

Re: Canada’s, Strathcona’s Horse’, Second South African War

Postby GrantRCanada » 19 Jul 2014 19:30

Thank you for taking my comments in the spirit they were intended. I certainly meant no disrespect, especially as you have obviously expended a great deal of thought, time and effort compiling your material!
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby QSAMIKE » 19 Jul 2014 22:46

Gentlemen.....

One of the things that I have found is that there are many errors in the sessional paper accounts, it seems to be that some are written by civil servants who have never been there.....

As far as the Strathcona's, I would prefer to use their Routine Orders, War Diary, Strathcona-Steele Reports and a couple of Diaries of the actual members of the regiment as my sources.....

Mike
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby Spañiard » 21 Jul 2014 16:45

QSAMIKE wrote:Gentlemen.....

One of the things that I have found is that there are many errors in the sessional paper accounts, it seems to be that some are written by civil servants who have never been there.....

As far as the Strathcona's, I would prefer to use their Routine Orders, War Diary, Strathcona-Steele Reports and a couple of Diaries of the actual members of the regiment as my sources.....

Mike

Mr Mike, sincerely, a little Hard, say 70% accurate and filled with detailed, First hand accounts, etc., etc., 30% is questionable. I could certainly support your argument, however , manytimes they also got it right. Even War, OR, personal diaries, official reports have discrepancies, inaccuracies, etc., or written in a one-sided perspective. I’ve echoed on posts at, VWF and ABW.com, even though considered the gold seal standard, in Canadian historical accounts, the CDN Gov. Sessional Paper, have discrepancies and inaccurate, fall short, whitewashed accounts, and that goes for the Parlament, etc, sections in the Volumes for the years in question, in hindsight, all other years until the mergence of, FWW.

“A Permanent Force, (official name PAM aka PF), will consist of 5,000 all ranks,” that never materialised, and by FWW only ???? served in the regiment, (looks like DHH, Ph.Ds’, mainstream, etc., got it wrong, again).

Can someone answer that question, by FWW how many PF, all ranks?

Mr. Mike, on the Thread your more then welcome too challenge, as add prime source, archive documented first hand accounts on Strathcona’s Horse’, etc.

Those that have done the proper leg work, properly schooled, are responsible insuring an accurate account is presented, with details, documents supporting the facts instead of the recycled, mainstream accounts which in certain cases no longer hold water. Websites, etc, etc, are littered with inaccurate accounts, unbeknown too many, perpetuating the mistakes world renowned historians, Authors etc, etc., made, corrections are in dire need.

VWF, Mark wrote: Thanks for your additional info, Spañiard! I agree that too many historians are perpetuating mistakes made by previous authors/historians. Recourse to primary sources is always the best way to begin.
Mark.

It’s much easier too cut and paste from other Historians, etc., then reference, cross reference, until U have prime source as documents, etc., supporting the facts, or debunking them, as Mr. Mark stated: Prime source is only, a starting point.

C.U.
Last edited by Spañiard on 21 Jul 2014 17:44, edited 3 times in total.
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog
http://wp.me/55eja
Spañiard
Participating Member

Postby Spañiard » 21 Jul 2014 17:13

GrantRCanada wrote:Thank you for taking my comments in the spirit they were intended. I certainly meant no disrespect, especially as you have obviously expended a great deal of thought, time and effort compiling your material!

No worries, on your first post I read between the lines, owing by your wording, it discredited the complete thread. I’ll elaborate: I created a Thread, (topic), in the thread you have 3 posts, each page = a post, which is divided into quotes. In the future if any confusion, don’t hastate, be blunt, cut and paste, quote and I’ll gladly elaborate. By U, pointing it out, I make the corrections improving my condition.

The bulk was completed two decades ago, I referenced and cross-reference, the SP 1901-02-03, mainstream, books, as other documents etc., and only used the official reports, from the COs’, appendixes, reports they submitted, Lists of DOW, DOD, etc., etc, Rank and file Muster Roll, as the recorded documented accounts, from those that were there, per say. All MOs, Militia Orders, and a few GOs’ for SA I submitted are from DHH Lineage, as ones found in the Sessional paper, submitted reports for those years. Canada’s accounts, of the Second South African War, is part of a collage in Canadian, Sedentary pre war 1812, till FWW 1914-16, accounts, facts or myths, leading into the creation of CEF FC, accounts, which are littered with more holes, then your cheese grader.

Note, what I’ve posted on ABW.com and ici, I can’t use or holding it, under my hat for two decades, constantly refreshing if needed. Felt a responsibility, owing too the Canadian stigma, inaccuracies, contradictions, etc., etc., on Canada’s involvement in the Second South Africana’ War. A forgotten footnote, swept under the rug, as the lumps are hidden under an elongated lounge sofa, in commemoration of their sacrifice, even though mislead why war was declared, nor responsible for the horrific aftermath, that unfold with the concentration camps, etc., Let’s Not Forget.

While the “Click,” authors etc., have argued with issue, in opinion consisting of 3 camps. Canada’s, first overseas military evolvement was the Nile Expedition, which I certainly think not. Others state: It was FWW, while I pitched my tent in the SSAW.

If not for the Sessional paper, etc., their detailed account would still be, in obscurity.

The Canadian “Army Nursing Sisters” in the South African War, 1899-1902.
http://www.angloboerwar.com/forum/8-eve ... -1899-1902

C.U.
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog
http://wp.me/55eja
Spañiard
Participating Member

Postby Scona » 10 Jan 2016 17:55

Visiting the Red Deer Museum yesterday, I came across this interesting piece on display.

Scona

Previous

Return to Canada 1837-1901