Red River Expedition

For all discussions relating to military activities in Canada, 1837-1901.

Red River Expedition

Postby Waggoner » 15 Jul 2014 21:24

Just found this gem on the web - http://books.google.ca/books?id=bposAAA ... 70&f=false. It is the report of Matthew Bell-Irvine who was the chief logistician of the expedition.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Re: Red River Expedition

Postby Mark A. Reid » 15 Jul 2014 23:34

Oh dear. Red River Expedition ... Logistics ... I can almost hear Colonel & Dr. Mike asking " Who was in charge of the Water Polo and Surfing Detachment? "

Thanks for this Gary, I'll give it a read.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Waggoner » 16 Jul 2014 00:53

Mark,

This is the condensed version, suitable for reading by government officials. For the real nitty gritty, you should look up his diary at the LAC! The part about the mobile ice cream section is really fascinating :D

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby mike snook » 16 Jul 2014 01:36

I'll pass. I only read military history. I don't have enough time in the day for travel writing too.

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Scona » 09 Jan 2016 05:48

I am reading Rough Times 1870 - 1920: A Souvenir of the 50th Anniversary of the Red River Expedition of the Province of Manitoba by Joseph F. Tennant, and came across this interesting snippet.

Johnson E. Cooper, a stout jolly little Irishman from Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Ireland, belonged to the No. 4 Company of the Ontario Battalion. He was a full private but no man in the Regiment was more willing to do his bit - and then some - than Johnson E. Stowed in his knapsack he carried from Toronto to Fort Garry the charter of the first Orange Lodge established in Manitoba. He took his discharge in the Province and went into business at Emerson and became a partner in the firm of Cooper & Carmichael, building contractors. He sat as a member of the town council for a number of years and died at Emerson, one of its most respected citizens.

This 'charter' correctly known as a Warrant, is in the Archives of Manitoba.

It's of particular interest to me because I have a website that I'm working on - History of the Loyal Orange Lodge in Western Canada
http://www.orangelodge1654.com/
Scona

Return to Canada 1837-1901