Canada Militia Shako Plate (General Service Pattern)

For all discussions relating to military activities in Canada, 1837-1901.

Re: Canada Militia Shako Plate (General Service Pattern)

Postby GrantRCanada » 24 Jun 2014 14:34

Thanks, 'red' .... and do keep me posted on your inquiries.

Mind you, if a reproduction shako is going to run that kind of coin (.... :shock: ....) I like what I have come up with just fine! :lol:
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby red25847 » 25 Jun 2014 13:02

Amen brother.

I'll let you know what else turns up.
red25847

Postby GrantRCanada » 19 Jul 2014 21:10

By way of an update, I competed at the Grand Army of the Frontier National Muster at the end of June in central Nebraska with the kit I put together as detailed to some extent earlier in this thread, and with the original Canadian-issue Mark II Snider-Enfield rifle marked to the 43rd Battalion also depicted previously above. I placed Second in my competition category (Black Powder Military Single-Shot Rifle) having been somewhat outclassed by an American shooting a .45-70 Trapdoor Springfield .... :roll:

I was not in the running for a "Field Uniform" award .... having won in a uniform category the previous year, and thus being one of the uniform judges this year .... although I can say with some confidence that I would likely have placed First otherwise! :wink:

I actually shot through the first "skirmish" of the main match in this full kit, but after doing that and also moving through a couple of more times in fairly high heat and humidity as "squad support" (brass picking, target spotting and re-setting, timing, etc.) I was just a little less cool and comfortable -
- so I ended up doing all further shooting and squad activities in "shirtsleeve order" .... :wink: (Actually, I held out into the early afternoon because a breeze was serving to keep me surprisingly comfortable .... but when that air movement ceased the tunic had to come off!)

The handkerchief tucked up under my shako is admittedly rather unsightly, but was a real "neck and ear saver" .... a more period-correct neck curtain and/or full havelock are definitely on my "must do" list! Anyone have any good photos showing that sort of kit in the late 1860's/early 1870's, or specifications for same?
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Waggoner » 19 Jul 2014 21:23

Looking very spiffy! You put a great deal of effort into putting this together! With an eye for detail, I thought that the bayonet was carried over the left hip? Local quiff? :)

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby GrantRCanada » 19 Jul 2014 21:35

Waggoner wrote:... I thought that the bayonet was carried over the left hip? ...

Too far forward, I know .... :roll:

Truth be told, I'm just a wee bit "too big around" to wear it back farther and still be able to access both it and the contents of my haversack when worn (correctly, I understand) with the straps under the waistbelt .... a very important consideration for someone who is so anachronistic as to still be a smoker in this day and age! :roll:
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Waggoner » 19 Jul 2014 22:13

As I thought...a local variation based on impeccable logic! I still think you are doing great things.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby jgkeller » 08 Aug 2014 20:29

Does anybody know what the material that is used in the quilted shako? I was making one and wondered if the outer material was a fine wool or a fine cotton. I know the colour was a very dark navy. Thanks Jim
jgkeller

Postby GrantRCanada » 10 Aug 2014 04:53

Everything I have read indicates that the covering of the Pattern 1861 "Quilted" shako was wool cloth. As near as I can tell from photos which reveal texture, it was like a lightweight wool Melton fabric, and that is what I used for my shako. I initially thought about trying to duplicate the quilted appearance of the stitching of the fabric onto the cork underbody of the 1861 pattern, but instead ended up approximating the appearance of the similar but "unquilted" P'1867/68 "Last Pattern" shako (introduced for the Canadian Militia in 1869) as more appropriate for my circa-1870 impression .....

I actually had quite a large piece of this cloth on hand, being what I used for the facings of the Revolutionary War era 84th Regiment of Foot (Royal Highland Emigrants) coatee I made years ago. I'd have to check, but am pretty sure I have enough left to do at least another shako (if not more) so, depending on your location and thus feasibility of shipping, I could send some to you for the cost of the postage. (Mind you, with autumn coming on, the fabric stores will likely soon be putting their wool Melton and Suiting materials back on display ....)
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby red25847 » 28 Jul 2015 12:42

Here is an update. This rifle quilted shako is in the museum at Old Fort Erie.
Attachments
DSCN5874s.jpg
DSCN5874s.jpg (44.48 KiB) Viewed 768 times
DSCN5870s.jpg
DSCN5870s.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 768 times
red25847

Previous

Return to Canada 1837-1901