Fenian Raids - 16th Regiment of Foot

For all discussions relating to military activities in Canada, 1837-1901.

Fenian Raids - 16th Regiment of Foot

Postby GTinCan » 04 Jul 2013 04:47

Hello, all.

Does anyone know of any resources that I might use to confirm some of the movements of the 1st Bn, 16th Regiment of Foot during the Fenian Raids from 1866-1870?

By way of background (and in a separate post under the Army sub-forum), my great-great grandfather was a drummer with the 1st/16th. I did not find his name on the medal roll for the Canadian General Service medal; however, I know that the Bn conducted a number of deployments related to defending against the Fenian threat, and have a gut feeling that he must have ended up on guard duty along the border with part of his unit at some point or another.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
GTinCan

Re: Fenian Raids - 16th Regiment of Foot

Postby GrantRCanada » 09 Jul 2013 16:45

GT:

It is my understanding that British Regulars who actively served in connection with the Fenian Raids did receive the CGSM, so it is possible that any deployment your GGGF may have had at that time was not deemed to qualify.

One good "semi-period" (published in 1910) Fenian Raids reference available online (to read, or download in a variety of formats) is "Troublous Times in Canada: A History of the Fenian Raids of 1866 and 1870". I haven't read it for some time but, as I recall, it is fairly detailed in indicating which units (both Canadian Militia and British) were engaged in various actions and deployments. Here is one source for it: [url]http://archive.org/details/cu31924028894636/url]

Also, if you have access to ancestry.ca, I just got notice that they have added a new database: "Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900" which might help in your search. (If you do not have such access, I can try to search it for you, but would need your ancestor's name, of course.

For what it may be worth, the "blurb" on this database reads as follows:

This database contains registers and other records providing details on soldiers and officers in British military units that served in Canada.

These registers include description and succession books, returns of officers' services, casualty returns and regimental entry books, which include the names of enlisted men with details such as age, place of birth, trade and service. The records cover various periods between the years 1756 to 1878, with some returns of officers' services in the Royal Engineers up to the mid-1900s. Some registers include a nominal index, either at the beginning or end of the volume.

What You Can Find in the Records
These records document things such as enlistment, commissions and appointments, dates of service, service history, casualties, desertion, pay and pensions, and discharges. The list of details that one might find in these records is comprehensive, although the discharge information might be stressed even more, such as when, where and why the pension was awarded and from time to time, the amount of the pension is noted.

Forms and records vary, but they may contain the following details:
name
service dates and places (enlistment, promotion, discharge, etc.)
birth date
birthplace
physical description
trade
unit(s)
desertion date
death date
retirement
transfers
rank
religion
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby GTinCan » 12 Jul 2013 01:49

GrantRCanada wrote:GT:

It is my understanding that British Regulars who actively served in connection with the Fenian Raids did receive the CGSM, so it is possible that any deployment your GGGF may have had at that time was not deemed to qualify.

One good "semi-period" (published in 1910) Fenian Raids reference available online (to read, or download in a variety of formats) is "Troublous Times in Canada: A History of the Fenian Raids of 1866 and 1870". I haven't read it for some time but, as I recall, it is fairly detailed in indicating which units (both Canadian Militia and British) were engaged in various actions and deployments. Here is one source for it: [url]http://archive.org/details/cu31924028894636/url]

Also, if you have access to ancestry.ca, I just got notice that they have added a new database: "Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900" which might help in your search. (If you do not have such access, I can try to search it for you, but would need your ancestor's name, of course.

For what it may be worth, the "blurb" on this database reads as follows:

This database contains registers and other records providing details on soldiers and officers in British military units that served in Canada.

These registers include description and succession books, returns of officers' services, casualty returns and regimental entry books, which include the names of enlisted men with details such as age, place of birth, trade and service. The records cover various periods between the years 1756 to 1878, with some returns of officers' services in the Royal Engineers up to the mid-1900s. Some registers include a nominal index, either at the beginning or end of the volume.

What You Can Find in the Records
These records document things such as enlistment, commissions and appointments, dates of service, service history, casualties, desertion, pay and pensions, and discharges. The list of details that one might find in these records is comprehensive, although the discharge information might be stressed even more, such as when, where and why the pension was awarded and from time to time, the amount of the pension is noted.

Forms and records vary, but they may contain the following details:
name
service dates and places (enlistment, promotion, discharge, etc.)
birth date
birthplace
physical description
trade
unit(s)
desertion date
death date
retirement
transfers
rank
religion

Hello, Grant.

I happened to download that source just last week. I am still picking my way through it, but it does not appear to be definitive.

I have accessed the Library and Archives Canada medal roll for those applicants who received the GCSM. Some of the particulars of service (from British Army units in particular) are quite vague. I have seen entries in that category such as "1866," "Montreal 1866," and "Various locations in Canada 1866." As such, I have the impression that if a British regular was garrisoned in Canada at that time, and that his unit was posted to a geographic location that could have been threatened by a Fenian raid, he would have been entitled to the medal.

In addition, I looked through the Ancestry archive that you mentioned above, but found nothing for the 16th on it. Just my luck.

Cheers!
GTinCan

Postby Banker » 13 Jul 2013 01:31

GT, He may have been entitled top the medal but never claimed it. You must remember that whilst the campaign was in 1866 & 1870 the medal was not approved until 1899 and only to survivors.

Therefore if your relative had died prior to then there would be no claim nor medal.

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker

Postby GTinCan » 14 Jul 2013 00:00

Banker wrote:GT, He may have been entitled top the medal but never claimed it. You must remember that whilst the campaign was in 1866 & 1870 the medal was not approved until 1899 and only to survivors.

Therefore if your relative had died prior to then there would be no claim nor medal.

Regards Steve

Hello, Steve.

He passed away in 1914, so based on what I've found I believe that he would have had a good claim to it. Waiting thirty years to issue a medal...I'm glad that's no longer the practice, otherwise I wouldn't have received my campaign star for Afghanistan until I was in my fifties!

Cheers.

-Geoff
GTinCan

Postby petegarnham » 06 May 2015 22:22

Geoff,
Not sure if you are still after some info on the 16th as some time has passed since your enquiry. The attached may be of some use, it is from the Regimental Diary of the 16th specific to the time of Ridgeway.

p49(3).jpg
p49(3).jpg (101.11 KiB) Viewed 833 times
petegarnham

Postby GTinCan » 08 Jun 2015 23:56

petegarnham wrote:Geoff,
Not sure if you are still after some info on the 16th as some time has passed since your enquiry. The attached may be of some use, it is from the Regimental Diary of the 16th specific to the time of Ridgeway.

p49(3).jpg

Pete,

Thank you for posting this! Lucky me, checking in well after what I thought was the last post in this thread...

Cheers!
GTinCan

Return to Canada 1837-1901