1885 NorthWest Campaign

For all discussions relating to military activities in Canada, 1837-1901.

1885 NorthWest Campaign

Postby berring » 03 Jan 2008 03:56

I am new to this forum and as I reside in Saskatchewan I thought I would offer my assistance to anyone who needs information about this campaign. I am no expert on it but have a few books and the medal role for the campaign. I have also been to Batoche (site of the largest battle) several times. Unfortunately the museum focuses less on the campaign and more on the metis situation. Riel was actually tried for treason (and hanged) only a few blocks from where I work. Anyway, nice to see other people out there who share the same interests as myself.
berring

Re: NorthWest Campaign - 1885

Postby Mark » 03 Jan 2008 15:00

Hi Berring

A warm welcome to the Forum and thank you for your very kind offer of help. As you can see we are still new to the world of Internet forums but we are slowly growing.

Very happy to have you aboard.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Sabreur » 07 Jan 2009 02:37

Just joined! Have dropped by here occasionally and decided to jump in. I also live in Saskatchewan, just outside Prince Albert and am very interested in the 1885 Rebellion. I've managed to put together a fair library on it but am always looking for more info.

Cheers...
Sabreur

Postby GrantRCanada » 15 Jan 2009 07:41

I'm located in Medicine Hat, Alberta, and also have a significant interest in the North-West Rebellion. Matter of fact, at my behest, our local Cowboy Action Shooting group is named after the irregular/provisional mounted militia unit of 'cowboy cavalry' stationed here during the Rebellion - the Rocky Mountain Rangers (no connection with the present-day Infantry regiment of that name.) My Cowboy Action "Alias" (persona) is based on one of three Scouts on the rolls of the RMR - John M. "Rattlesnake Jack" Robson (who had served in the NWMP.) My website gives considerably more detail - http://members.memlane.com/gromboug/

I also do a circa 1885 Queen's Own Rifles of Canada impression ....

GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Sabreur » 04 Feb 2009 01:04

I have made a post in the 'Weapon' section entitled "Saskatchewan 7-pounder" that is partially relevant to the 1885 North-West Rebellion.

Cheers!
Sabreur

Postby Will Mathieson » 03 Mar 2009 01:10

Hello , I was invited to join this forum and it looks good!

I will add something of interest for the Canadian 1885 rebellion, please look in: http://s697.photobucket.com/albums/vv33 ... ion004.jpg
here you will find pictures of the sword carried by the Adj. to General Middleton, Capt. H de H Haig. More pics of the sword can be found by scrolling the upper right in photobucket. Dispatches say he was calm and cool under fire! Also for 1871 interest, pictures of a letter of attorney for Col. Robertson-Ross witnessed by Col.Walter Powell in Ottawa Jan 1871. Interesting signatures and authentic! I'm sure history buffs know who they are.
Now I must go and further enjoy reading through this forum. Will.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby Will Mathieson » 06 Mar 2009 21:04

I have posted more pics on photobucket of a book printed 1886 with information of Capt. H de H Haig R.E. Adj. to Gen. Middleton. Included is the cover and several pages of interesting reading.
When I have more time I will figure out how to post on this site to make it more convenient. Will.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Re: 1885 NorthWest Campaign

Postby upnorth » 30 Jul 2009 17:34

Hi all. Interesting thread. I am a metal detectorist also interested in the Field Force. I have located the camp at Clarkes Crossing and have retrieved objects from the site, such as beef tins etc. Unfortunately the land is now owned by Hutterite/Mennonites?, not sure which and the locals say they don't deal well with outsiders. I may approach them one day. At present I have other high priority sites, such as were 7 and 9 pounder cannons were used on a group of Aboriginals. I find that I gain better access with the slow and steady approach. Most farmers won't let you on their fields until the crop is off anyway, for obvious reasons.
upnorth

Postby fantomark » 09 Feb 2010 15:05

Hi! "Rattlesnake Jack"

I have just seen yr gorgeus photos in this section!

Congratulations : You really look great!
can you pls post a few more details about this uniform (Dates, Units)?

Also, if you send me yr e-mail address I will also send you some photos.
I also do Cowboy Shooting here in Italy as well as e-enacting.
(and I also need to ask you something about my newly acquired 1891 Lee-Metford!)

Ciao!

MARCO
"What a pity you are not an Englishman!".
Gordon's remark to his Italian lieutenant, Romolo Gessi
fantomark

Postby GrantRCanada » 09 Feb 2010 20:24

Marco:

I think you already have my e-mail address (you sent me photos of your Webley revolver, which I have not yet responded to .... :oops: )

The re-encatment impression is of a Sergeant of the "2nd Battalion, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada" as he would have been uniformed during the QOP's service in the 1885 Rebellion - when they formed part of Col. Otter's "Flying Column" which marched to the relief of Fort Battleford and Prince Albert. Here is a plate showing a Rifleman of the QOR on field service in 1885 -

Until 1883, Canada's military forces were composed entirely of units of Volunteer Militia, collectively referred to as the Active Militia. The constituent units were referred to as "Battalions", (i.e. not as "Regiments") until 1900. In 1883, legislation was passed authorizing the establishment of a very small (maximum strength 750, all ranks, initially) permanent force of "professional" soldiers, designated "Permanent Militia". It was made up of the two existing batteries of artillery at Montreal and Toronto, plus an "Infantry School Corps" and a "Cavalry School Corps" - which later became the Royal Canadian Regiment and the Royal Canadian Dragoons, respectively. As implied by their names, these units were intended to serve as training cadres for the Active Militia, which still formed the great bulk of the Canadian Militia.

Considering that the members of the Active Militia all had regular jobs and occupations outside their Militia service, it was quite a logistical feat that most of the approximately 5,000 troops sent west to the North West Territories from the Canadian provinces were mobilized and under way within just a few weeks of the first armed clash (NWMP and civilian volunteers against Métis) at Duck Lake on 26 March 1885.

The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada were initially established in April 1860 as the "2nd Battalion Volunteer Militia Rifles of Canada", were redesignated in March 1863 as the "2nd Battalion, or The Queen's Own Rifles of Toronto" when Queen Victoria granted them the Royal Accolade, and then in January 1883 were re-named the "2nd Battalion, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada".

Here is a photo of me competing at a National Muster of the Grand Army of the Frontier -
The Grand Army of the Frontier combines elements of Cowboy Action Shooting and Military Re-enacting - http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org/
With your evident interest in both hobbies, you sound like a "natural" for membership (which is free, by the way.) I happen to be the Commander of the GAF Department of the International - may I sign you up for membership?

The GAF website has no discussion forum of its own - that function is served by "The Barracks" forum on the Cas City cowboy action shooting forums - http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,20.0.html

I continue to acquire "kit" for my QOR Sergeant's impression - one of my more recent acquisitions has been a Non-Commissioned Officer's cross-belt, complete with pouch, whistle set, and cross-belt plate -

This accoutrement is worn by all three of these members of the QOR competition shooting team, circa 1889 (the rifle is my own Canadian-marked Mark III Martini-Henry) -

The unit head-dress badge was adopted in 1863, following which the only significant change was to the unit name in the garter surrounding the center numeral, from "Queen's Own Rifles" to "Queen's Own Rifles of Canada" in 1883. Since then, the badge has remained essentially unchanged, retaining the "Queen's Crown" continuously in view of their being a "Queen's Regiment". There have only been "stylistic" variations such as the exact shape of the maple leaf, the crown or the numeral "2" - here is an early, Victorian-era badge (left) compared with a present-day badge -

Image Image

As a Reserve unit, the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada remain an active part of the Canadian Forces to this day. A few links of possible interest -
- Regimental website - http://web.archive.org/web/20060104154249/www.bcoqueensown.org/
- Battle Honours - http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/battlehonours/bathnrinf/06-qor.htm
- Archived page from Regiments.org - http://web.archive.org/web/20060104132516/www.regiments.org/regiments/na-canada/volmil/on-inf/002qor.htm
- Wikipedia article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen%27s_Own_Rifles_of_Canada
- There is even a US-based WWII QOR re-enactment group -
http://bcoqorc.org/
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby fantomark » 09 Feb 2010 22:13

Fantastic!

Thanks for the wonderful photos and the detailed info !

..and Yes, pls do sign me up for the GAF, please.

I will also send you some more photos.
Yes you are right I must have yr e-mail address.
In case I won't find it I will send you a PM from the forum.

Thansk again!

Ciao!

Marco
"What a pity you are not an Englishman!".
Gordon's remark to his Italian lieutenant, Romolo Gessi
fantomark

Postby Darrell » 10 Feb 2010 02:12

berring wrote:I am new to this forum and as I reside in Saskatchewan I thought I would offer my assistance to anyone who needs information about this campaign. I am no expert on it but have a few books and the medal role for the campaign. I have also been to Batoche (site of the largest battle) several times. Unfortunately the museum focuses less on the campaign and more on the metis situation. Riel was actually tried for treason (and hanged) only a few blocks from where I work. Anyway, nice to see other people out there who share the same interests as myself.

Berring, I live next door in Alberta. I've been to Saskatoon a couple of times, but never had a chance to head over to Batoche to see what I can see.

Do you have any pictures of the area that you could share? I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Darrell
Darrell
Participating Member

Postby opcmh » 13 Mar 2010 05:01

Steele's Scouts: Looking for information on Steele's Scouts other than revealed in publications. I know Sam Steele's affects are now in Calgary.....Specifically the battle of Pipestone Creek and Tpr Fred Walter(s)......regards jack
opcmh

Postby Michael Reintjes » 13 Mar 2010 21:03

I just picked yp a two band Snider Rifle marked to The Queen's Own Rifles last week near Toronto.....If only that Rifle could talk....
Michael Reintjes

Postby GrantRCanada » 13 Mar 2010 22:47

Nice find, Michael! Can you post some photos? :D

Of my two Snider short rifles, the better one is DC-marked but has no unit mark, and the other one is marked to the 39th Norfolk Bttn. of Rifles (headquarters at Simcoe with two Companies located there, and with four other Companies at Villa Nova, Port Rowan, Walsingham and Waterford.)

I really must get back to trying to work up a consistently accurate Snider load, since it would be much more "period correct" for me to compete with a Snider-Enfield service rifle!
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Canada 1837-1901