Canadian Letters From The Boy's (RCR) Second Anglo Boer War

For all discussions relating to military activities in Canada, 1837-1901.

Canadian Letters From The Boy's (RCR) Second Anglo Boer War

Postby Spañiard » 22 Jun 2017 19:51

SVP, the below are snippets...for a comprehensive account kindly fallow short link...
Canadian Letters’, Extracts, &c., From “The Boy’s” (R.C.R.), Second Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1900. http://wp.me/p55eja-Qs

Letter Extract of Mr. Chamberlain to Lord Minto: — ”The great enthusiasm and the general eagerness to take an active part in a military expedition, which has unfortunately been found necessary for the maintenance of British rights and interests in South Africa, have afforded much gratification to Her Majesty’s Government and the people of this country. The desire thus exhibited to share in the risks and burdens of Empire has been welcomed, not only as a proof of the staunch loyalty of the Dominion, and of its sympathy with the policy pursued by Her Majesty’s Government in South Africa, but also as an expression of that growing feeling of the unity and solidarity of the Empire which has marked the relations of the Mother Country with the Colonies during recent years. The thanks of Her Majesty’s Government are specially due to your Ministers for the cordial manner in which they have undertaken and carried through the work of organizing and equipping the Canadian Contingent.”

With The Royal Canadians, By Stanley McKeown Brown,War Correspondent, 1900. — When the contingent had been two weeks and two days at sea we passed the SS. “Rangatira,” of the Shaw, Savill Albion line on her way from New Zealand to London. To us she proved a post-box in the ocean, for it was by her that we were able to send the first letters home from the “Sardinian.” All night long some officers had watched for the light of a vessel, and from the Captain’s bridge it was nearly dawn before a faint sparkling spectre appeared on the horizon. Two on board our boat had made a wager the night before that a vessel would come in view before twelve o’clock the next day. “What shall we bet?” asked an officer of high rank, who gambled that no vessel would be seen. “Champagne,” answered the other, “if it suits you.” “Right,” was the one word from this high officer’s lips-for he was one of the six Colonels on board – as they sealed the compact.

The “Rangatira” stopped her engines, and the “Sardinian” halted, too. A life-boat was lowered from our ship, and after having put over to the England-bound boat with the great pillow slips full of letters, and bringing back copies of the Cape Town papers, we both steamed on, glad to have had a handshake from a British sister ship. “Well, boys, I’ve lost!” said the sporty Colonel, “and I’m willing to pay. Come along down stairs!”.....................

2nd SS Bn. Royal Canadian Regiment Inf., S.S. Sardinian, Quebec City, Before Leaving, South African War, 28th Oct. 1899.

7354 Pte Noble John Jones, ‘C’ Coy, Toronto, Letter To his Mother, 29th, October, 1899: — Dear Mother. — I am well and all right I am writing for the last time in Quebec for a while I am sitting on a stove with the pad on my knee so don’t be surprised at the scribble how are all the folks at home remember me to every body we sail tomorrow for South Africa so the next word you get from me will be off the field there is great activity down here fitting out the men I will write Just as soon as I get over there and get a chance the people in Toronto were more than good to me. I have nothing to complain of we have a fine Regiment we had a grand church parade today. I have not seen much of Quebec and what I have seen I do not think but very little of it the streets are narrow and muddy, I have very little news only that I am well and that is the main thing So I will close with love to all hoping to see you in a year… Good bye Noble....................

7354 Pte Noble John Jones, ‘C’ Coy, Letter To his Mother, Belmont South Africa, Wednesday 13th, December, 1899: — Dear Mother. — I received your letter from Quebec last night & am glad to hear that all are well. We are having fine weather a little hot in the day time but pretty chilly at night our troops are having it pretty sharp up at Spitzfontaine we have lost a lot of men. but it is a terrible slaughter on the enemy we have cut off their water supply and have them surrounded they have only one thing to do surrender or die they are no mean foe they are a very ignorant people and stubborn fighters there is but little mercy shown on either side. This is their last stand but Petroria & that is their capital and I hear if they loose this battle they will give in. I think again you get this the war will be over and you will see us home pretty soon there come an alarm that the Boers were going to attack us And we hurried out at 3 o’clock in the morning on the veldt and the mountains but the enemy took a sneak and if they had of come on they would have got a warm welcome for the boys were pretty mad about loosing their sleep things look serious for a while but the boys came back to camp a deal merrier than left I tell you it puts queer thoughts in your head when you are lying behind a bunch of weeds expecting every minute to see a risk over a hill or a bullet hit the ground beside you or hear a chum give a groan and roll over you loose all fear it is a terrible feeling but it is all for the best we expect some more fun before the week is out........................

Unknown Author. — Belmont, 18th, December, 1899. — It is wonderful to see the entrenchments that the Boers throw up on the tops of the kopjes, and it seems really marvellous that the British can ever have driven them back, but they did. — I have just got back from Graspan, 8.½ miles towards Kimberley, where we were guarding the lines while the Engineers put up the telegraph wires. They were all torn down by the Boers, and the iron poles bent and broken. We guarded the Engineers about seven miles past Graspan, to Eslin, and there handed them over to other troops from Eslin. The ‘grub’ we got out there was mighty fine, as there where several Boer farms en route, and we had sheep, vegetables, milk, eggs and butter, and the women cooked bread and scones for us. I forgot to tell you that the other night on outpost duty I heard some sort of a biped approaching my post, and challenged three times without getting an answer. Then, thinking it must be an enemy, I fired, and shot a poor unoffending ostrich through the head.

2nd SS Bn. RCRI On Dock before Embarkation SS Sardinian, South African War 30th, Oct. 1899.

7060 Private H. Johnson, 2 SS Bn. RCRI, ‘A’ Coy, B.C. & Manitoba, Was Reported Killed. — After a graphic description of the battle of Modder River on February 18th, Private Johnson, son of Dr. Johnson, member for West Lambton, relates the incidents intervening between it and the next battle, the final stand of Cronje at Paardeberg. ‘On leaving the battlefield as I was going in I heard some groaning and searched for the place from whence the sound came, found a Seaforth, badly wounded. Fortunately I had put the rum with which we were served before the battle in my water bottle and had about half of it left. I raised him up and gave him a drink of it and the way in which it revived him was wonderful. Helping him along a short distance we met a stretcher on which he was put and carried in, but I shall not forget his inexpressible gratitude to me. On the 26th, about noon we went into the trenches for what was to be for forty-eight hours. We were not in very long before we were told that the regiment was to rush the Boer trenches during the next night, so we were ail on the ‘qui vive.’

7255 Walter White, 2 SS Bn. RCRI ‘B’ Coy, Died at Paardeberg, 18th, Feb., 1900. — Windsor Boys Write Home Telling Of Their Friend’s Sad Death. — Messrs. Northwood and Boers, Windsor, are in receipt of letters from their sons in South Africa, both dated from Bloemfontein. Northwood mentions briefly the attack on the trenches at Paardeberg and the surrender of Cronje next day, then the movement of the Windsor boys to Bloemfontein. He touches most feelingly on the death of his intimate friend, Walter White, who, he says was killed while on an errand of mercy. He had moved from cover to give a drink to a wounded Highlander when he fell. ‘Words, ‘said the writer’ cannot describe m y feelings when I saw his face covered with the blood lie had so nobly shed for his country, I know it will be some consolation for his mother to know that her boy died such a noble death.’ From the surrender of Cronje to the writing of the letter the contingent had been marching and fighting every day, while living on half rations. At Bloemfontein, however, a few luxuries and necessaries were obtained. Boers’ letter contains a very interesting item of news not before conveyed in the letters from the boys. He says that three or four days after the surrender of Cronje, the Canadians and Highland Brigade were dispatched to dislodge some Boers who had occupied a kopje ten miles off. The Boers did not await the onset, but retired hastily, after some cannonade, leaving two of their best Krupps. In ail that day the troops detailed for this work manoeuvred over a distance of 20 miles. The march to Bloemfontein, 67 miles, took four days, and ail were much fatigued.”............................

Letter received by Col.-Sergeant MacNab, of the 5th Royal Scots, from Private R. Gunn, first contingent: — Friday, 23rd, February, 1900. — I am just writing a few lines to let you know how we are getting along. I suppose you will have heard of the big fight we had before this letter reaches you. We arrived at Modder Spruit after a 25 miles march, leaving Cliff Spruit the night before. We were just one hour in camp before we were in the thick of the fight. We had time to have a wash in the river and drink a little coffee, and we lived the rest of the day on one hard tack biscuit and a little water, we had in our bottles. We got in the fight at seven o’clock. The Boers were entrenched in strong position along the river. We could not see them on account of the thick bushes which grow along the water’s edge. We waded the river about a quarter of a mile from the Boer position, the water reaching up to our shoulders, and the weather being wet, we chilled for the rest of the day. After we reached the opposite side we opened out in skirmishing order. A and C Companies were the firing line, the Gordon Highlanders also forming a part. B, D and H Companies the supports, and E, F and G the reserve. We got the order to advance across a plain, protected only by ant hills. As we advanced we were met by a shower of bullets and shells from a small gun the Boers have..........................................

2nd SS Bn. Royal Canadian Regiment Inf., Onboard, SS Sardinian, South African War, Nov. 1899.

Captain Rogers, S. Maynard, 2nd SS Bn. RCRI, ‘D’ Coy from Ottawa, writes from Paardeberg Drift, February, 1900. — The death of Mr. Zachary R.E. Lewis, North-West Mounted Police (of D Company, Royal Canadian Regiment Infantry), in the attack under Lord Roberts on Cronje’s laager the day before. . . . as fallows: — Poor Zack met his death in a gloriously plucky manner, as he was one of two (out of the whole regiment) who fell right in the enemy’s trenches; in fact, from what I can gather, he was the first to reach them of our firing line (composed of Seaforth Highlanders, Black Watch, Cornwalls and Royal Canadians), and he had charged so far ahead of his comrades that no one saw him fall. In searching the battlefield for dead and wounded (which we did ail night, with the enemy constantly sniping at us), we could find no trace of him, and, as a number were missing, we fondly hoped he would return as others did the following morning. But, on searching the enemy’s trenches by daylight, we found dear old Zack there. His end must have been painless, as he was shot through the head. I had his remains buried to-day................................

8128 Pte. George D. McCallum, 2 SS RCRI, ‘H’ Coy, from the General Hospital at Wynberg, writes to his father in Springfield, N. S. Speaking of his wound, as fallows: — I was under fire for 10 hours before I got hit. The wound is not much. I was hit on the head by a hard Mauser. It twisted the bullet a bit. I have the bullet that was taken out of my head. If I had got a rap on the head at home in a pit like this I would not have lost a day’s work with it, but the doctors know it all. They sent me from Paardeberg to the hospital at Modder River Station. The Consulting doctor was afraid of my head, so he sent me to the Island Hospital, which is a hotel made into a hospital, situated on an island between Modder and Reit Rivers. They kept me there for ten days till I was fit to travel; then they sent me here to Wynberg, which is only seven miles from Cape-Town; but I will be back with the regiment in about a fortnight, as the doctor here said I would be able to join my regiment in about three weeks when I first came here, so that by the time you get this I will be back at the front again. James Scott was shot through the fleshy part of the leg, which will lay him up for about two months.”

Letters from Baugh Boy’s Battle of Paardeberg. — Corporal George Baugh, of the R.C.A., received two letters from his boys in South Africa on Friday, from Corporal R. Baugh, of the Maxim gun section, and Private E. Baugh, known among his comrades as ‘Boss.’ The latter was hit but twice, not three times, as already published. The first bullet struck him in the back and came out at the leg, leaving two holes, which his brother took to be two distinct wounds, and with the one in the foot thought he had been wounded three times. Writing from De Aar under date of February 27th, of the Paardeberg battle, Private Baugh says: — You should have seen the field after the battle. It was the worst sight I ever saw. The dead were piled on top of one another and the wounded were crying for help. The Boers were firing just the same. They did not stop night or day. We fought ail the day from 6 in the morning till 6.30 at night, and then we made a charge on them, and you should see the men falling. I got hit in the side first, but I did not stop. I went on till we got within a hundred yards of them. Then we had to lie down. We could go no closer and stopped there for a while.

7977 Private W.J. Raymond, 2 SS Bn. RCRI, ‘G’ Coy of St. John, N.B., writes: — People can shout ail they wish about the glory of war,’ but to me there is only one side to it, and that is the seamy side.’ At Paardeberg that morning, after the Boers gave in, we slipped from behind the line of entrenchments we had so quickly built, and approached the Boer laager and fortifications to accept their surrender and take their arms. On the way there I first discovered Fred. Withers, who lay dead upon the ground. I had up to that moment thought him alive, and you can picture the shock it was to find him — dead. It was terrible. It was difficult at first glance to know just who it was, but after we had looked at him closer it was easy to know the truth. He was lying on his back and had undoubtedly died instantly. We placed his helmet over his face and left him.

R.C., Chaplain, Peter M. O’Leary, 2n SS Bn. RCRI, anecdote to the Montreal Star post Boer surrender at Paardeberg: — “a white flag went up in front of the Canadian lines. One of our officers stood up to indicate that it had been seen by us. Fearing treachery, one of the superior officers ordered him to lie down until a definite move in our direction had been made by the party bearing the flag. The latter shortly afterwards disappeared behind the Boer trenches, but a moment later again emerged holding the flag. This time he stepped over the earthworks, and advanced towards our position. He was received by a Canadian Officer, to whom he said he wished to surrender with all his men. As the surrender was unconditional, the officer accepted it, and thus it was that the Canadians had the honour of receiving the first detachment of Cronje’s men to surrender to British forces on that memorable day. It was not very many moments before white flags were up in all directions. I myself counted sixteen.”

7669 Pte. J. McCann ‘E’ Coy Montreal, Letter To His Mother: — South Africa, February 27th, 1900. — My darling mother, I Write you these few lines under great difficulties. I am all right at present. On Sunday morning we passed through our baptism of fire, having reached here after a forced march of 18 miles. On our arrival, when we received orders to advance on to the firing line, we were given a small drink of rum and a biscuit. I lay in the firing line from 6 o’clock in the morning till half-past seven at night without anything to eat or drink. We had to wade across the Modder River up to our necks in the water......................................................

D Coy Before Crossing Modder River, Boer Campaign, Royal Canadian Regiment, Captain Samuel Maynard Rogers. LAC Sub-Fonds.

7861 Pte. Jos. A. Hudon, 2nd SS Bn. RCRI ‘F’ Coy Québec, — (65th Mount Royal Rifles)…wounded at the battle of Paardeberg, and under orders to proceed to Netley. Owing to the disaster to the Mexican, the ship on which he was to sail was ordered to take out the mails and passengers, and was consequently unable to find room for the whole batch of invalids, some of whom were sent to Green Point Camp near Cape-Town, and others to No. 3 General Hospital, Rondebosch, from which the letter is dated. Here, the colonel of the R.A. medical corps, commanding the hospital, hearing that he was good at clerking, sent for him and gave him a job on the staff office, which brought him 22 cents a day extra, and required light work. Private Hudon writes that he is sorry that he will not see his friends as soon as they expected, but comforts himself with the thought that he may obtain leave to go to the front later on, which is what he is looking for, because although he has won two bars on his medal he would like to win the bar for any general engagement fought around or on the way to Pretoria, and although ail the doctors he has yet seen have marked him as unfit for further active service he still has hopes to obtain his request later on.

7967 Pte. Arthur Jas. Ben. Mellish, 2nd SS Bn. RCRI, ‘G’ Coy New Brunswick & PEI, letter to a friend in St. John:— “We are so pleased at the kind sympathy shown by the people of St. John and all Canada for us in our great struggle. The thought has helped us in many a hard march and fierce battle, and when we have felt weary’ and hungry and ready to drop with fatigue the thought of how the friends at home felt for us and trusted in us has kept us from giving in, and enabled us to hold our own even with veteran soldiers such as the Gordons, Cornwalls and Shropshires, which compose our brigade. The suspense must have been terrible among our parents and friends during the days they knew we were fighting the Lion of Africa, as Cronje is known, and as the dead and wounded had their names telegraphed home the heart-breakings must have been piteous. But that is the way with everything, the greater the .sacrifice the greater the glory. And those who have died for our country have died nobly, and after all, life does not consist in quantity, but quality. In our company no nobler or braver man fell than Pat. McCreary. He was a stretcher bearer, and as such was not compelled to go nearer than one hundred and fifty yards to the fighting line, butt all day Sunday, regardless of the hissing bullets, he succoured the wounded, and as evening fell he went away forward where many of us had fallen in the charge, and there he was riddled with bullets by the cowardly and dishonourable enemy..............................

7967 Private Mellish, 2 SS Bn. RCRI, ‘G’ Coy, writes his mother in Charlottetown: — Bloemfontein Camp, 15th, March, 1900. — Here we are at last. We marched here from Ferrara, our regiment being the rear guard. I have made a visit to the town, entering by the colored quarter. I was the object of much notice by the dusky inhabitants as I passed along on the outskirts. I purchased ten peaches and five pears for nine pence, and I can assure you I relished them. As I turned a corner a negro came running down the Street, pursued by a soldier............

7002 Sergeant Joseph Northcote, 2 SS Bn. RCRI, ‘A’ Coy., Letter From Paardeberg Drift, 2nd March, 1900, to His Father W.W. Northcote, Victoria, B.C., city assessor. —Saw Cronje Taken. — Accounts From Victoria Boys Who Were in The. — We are now camped till next Thursday about the battlefield. We have had a glorious victory over the enemy, although it cost us pretty heavy, about 140 killed and wounded. The Boers, however, have lost twice that number. They look like a fine lot of men, although they are very dirty, but I don’t think we have much to brag about in that respect just at present, for we have not had much time lately to be anything else. It was the Canadians who made the Boers give in, for our fire was something terrible. We started the fight about 2 in the morning and the enemy gave it up at 6 a.m. Lord Roberts made a speech to the regiment, but our company was across the river, so we did not hear it. I had 25 men with me in the upper trenches, comprising some of our best shots, and when Lord Roberts came our way with his staff he asked who we were. I told him, and then he asked me my name. He then stated we had done noble work, and were as good a lot of men as were in the British army. I saw General Cronje taken prisoner, accompanied by his wife and two daughters.

Next Page...........

Last edited by Spañiard on 22 Jun 2017 20:13, edited 3 times in total.
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog
http://wp.me/55eja
Spañiard
Participating Member

Re: Canadian Letters Frm 'The Boy's (RCR) Second Anglo Boer

Postby Spañiard » 22 Jun 2017 19:52

Part II as fallows:-

7221 Pte. Alex R. McLean, 2 SS Bn. RCRI ‘B’Coy, writes home concerning battle of Paardeberg, Galt, 20th April, 1900, as follows: — From Paardeberg to Bloemfontein Lord Roberts and staff were with us. Major Denison of London, Ont., is one of the field marshal’s staff officers. We have had some very bard times fighting by day and marching b y night, often on half empty stomachs for hours, so that what with fatigue and the climate it is no wonder that some of our boys have succumbed to fever, etc. It only goes to show the wisdom of the authorities in rejecting unlikely or weakly fellows. The boys from Brant, Oxford and Waterloo Counties are all right. We can hold our own with the cream of the best.

354 Pte. Noble John Jones, 2 SS RCRI, ‘C’ Coy From Toba Nek, S. A. Letter To His Brother Joe: — 2nd May 1900.— Dear Brother I am well and hearty feeling well and on the right wing to Pretoria we had 4 days heavy fighting and gave the Boers a good licking we are making up the line for I dont know where I have only a few minutes to get this off so dont be dissapointed with so little news we had an awful time under the Boer shell fire and we only lost one man killed young [?] Col cottons son inspector of artillery of Canada well Joe I have to close as he is going give my best respects to all the folks and love to all at home so good bye & love to all…Noble..................

7552 Private R.R. Thompson, 2 SS Bn, RCRI, ‘D’ Coy. — Writing to friend in Ottawa, from the convalescent camp at Norval’s Pont, on June 15th, says: — Ottawa has contributed nobly to Canada’s share of honor in the war. Of the 58 boys that left Ottawa on the 23rd October last, 25 have been killed or wounded. Certainly she has suffered very heavily. Our regiment has suffered severely; both from casualties and disease, of the 1,200 who were left, only about 200 now remain at the front with the regiment. We have lost about 170 killed and wounded and the rest are lying in hospitals or convalescent camps, suffering from enteric fever, malaria, rheumatism or sunstroke.....................

Dashing Advance of The Canadians at Battle of Baaderberg, Feb. 18-27, 1900, South African War.

Captain C, K. Fraser, 2nd SS Bn. RCRI, O.C. ‘E’ Coy, (Montreal), 2nd SS Bn. RCRI — Sherbrooke, June 5th, 1900. — Captain C, K. Fraser, officer commanding E Company first contingent, has written the following letter to Mr. John Wasdell, father of Private Wasdell, who was killed at Paardeberg: — Bloemfontein, April 14th, 1900. — My dear Mr. Wasdell, I know you have been looking anxiously for some particulars from me of your son’s death upon the field of battle. I cannot tell you how much I sympathize with you in your sad bereavement. Your son had won the esteem of both officers and men of his company, and we ail feel his loss deeply. As captain of his company I always found him a faithful and most willing soldier, and he died doing his duty for his Queen and country. He was wounded in the attack on Cronje’s laager on Tuesday morning, February 27th. I was with him when he was carried into our trenches and sat with him for two hours, during which time he was attended by Surgeon-Major Wilson, and everything possible was done for him. He was then talent to the New South Wales field hospital, which is recognized as the best in the army. There he received every care and attention. He died the following morning (February 28th) and his end was peaceful. He was conscious up to a short time of his death. He was buried on Wednesday, the 28th, by a Church of England clergyman in a very pretty spot on the river bank. The grave has been very nicely fixed up and fenced in by some of his comrades, and a cross placed at the head........................

The Late 7193 Privet F.G.W. Floyd 2nd SS Bn. ‘B’ Coy: — London, Ont., July 18th, 1900. — On Sunday afternoon at Richmond Street Methodist Church, in connection with the Sunday School exercises, a photo of the late Private George Floyd, appropriately mounted, was hung upon the wall of the school, the following inscription being engrossed beneath: — ‘In memory of Private George Floyd, in boyhood a member of this Sabbath School, killed in action at the battle of Zand River, May 10th, 1900. He died nobly fighting for the Empire. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.’ At the evening service a memorial sermon was preached by Rev. John Morrison, the subject being national and individual responsibility. The choir rendered appropriate music, and a detachment from Wolseley Barracks representing the Royal Canadian Rifles was in attendance. The pulpit and altar were tastily decorated with a large Canadian red ensign kindly sent for the occasion by Major J.W. Little. The congregation was large....................

2 SS RCRI ‘G’ Coy. — 7967 Pte. Mellish, Arthur, Jas. Ben., — 82nd Queen’s County Battalion, writes as fallows: — “We had just lain down and were about to go to sleep, when a new order came to fall in, ready to march at once. After some confusion our Company emerged from a mass of artillery, cavalry and infantry, and took up its position as the advance guard of the column. We marched on slowly all night of Friday, the 16th. Early in the morning we came to a house with a windmill. We threw ourselves down on the ground exhausted, hoping to get a little sleep, but the order came for “G” company to guard approach of column, so we drew ourselves to our feet and marched to some rising ground about a mile away where we posted sentries. At day-break we marched back to camp. At 5 p.m. Saturday we left and marched toilsomely twenty-three miles, arriving near Modder River after sunrise Sunday morning, with nothing to eat on the way. We again tried to get some rest notwithstanding the booming of guns some distance off, but it was not to be. We had a small ration of coffee and a little biscuit which we were not given time to eat at our leisure and again fell in. The regiment moved over to a bill at the double and lay down there. Then we were marched back and proceeded to ford the Modder River, which was running deep and strong at that place. The Gordons and others were already struggling across with the help of ropes, the water was nearly up to our necks. Cronje and his army were strongly entrenched and the action was in progress. We were put in extended order and advanced to the open. Soon we could hear bullets whistling by our heads. After a little we lay down, then advanced again and so on, taking what shelter we could. We were in the supports and could not fire but our men began to be hit—Waye of Hunter River being among the first. Finally we got a position in which we remained for a long time. The sun was scorching hot and we had to lie flat to shelter ourselves from the bullets. Then a terrific thunder storm came up and we were soaked with rain and beaten with hail. It was bitterly cold after the scorching heat. The bullets were all the time whistling around us and the cannon roaring fearfully, the call for stretchers and bearers to carry of the wounded coming from all points. Then the order came: “Section one, “G” Company, Reinforce!” and getting our haversacks and fixings tight on, we rushed forward. The bullets sang and spluttered. I held on until I saw some cover with a Highlander and a Cornwall man, when I threw myself down..........................................

Private J.H. Sutton’s Mother Waited & Hoped. — When months ago Hamilton’ s young men of the First Contingent said good-bye, there was one at the station whose handkerchief fluttered till the train had rounded the curve, and a parting answer from the rear of the car told that Private J.H. Sutton, of C Company, First Canadian Contingent, and Miss A.M. Daniels, would wait and hope. They wrote often. They both thought of a happy future. She sent her photograph, and he took it and put in under his dirty khaki uniform and looked at it often......................

7818 Privet LaRue’s 2nd SS RCRI ‘F’ Coy, Québec, Last Letter: — The last mail from Africa brought a letter to Dr. Léonidas LaRue from his son Lucien. It was dated from Wynburg Hospital, June 7th, and, as he died of his wounds received at the battle of Paardeberg, June 24th, is probably the last letter written by him. It is as follows: — My very dear father, Here I am since yesterday morning at Wynburg Hospital, about 12 miles south-east of Cape-Town. The doctors seeing that I could not gain strength at Norval’s Pont decided to remove me here until I could take the first hospital ship sailing for Southampton; they say that the rapid healing of my wound is the cause of this rheumatism that has been troubling me for nearly two months, and that as soon as I am at sea I shall feel a perceptible improvement. All my comrades who were wounded like me at Paardeberg and returned to the regiment after being cured, have been obliged to corner back to the hospital after the first march, suffering from poisoning of the blood, or inflammation of their wounds. The war draws to its close; enthusiasm is at its height. Lord Roberts has made his triumphal entry into Johannesburg and Pretoria, with my regiment, 350 strong, the second Canadian regiment, and the Guards. Kruger, with his staff and troops, has withdrawn into the mountains north of Pretoria................................

Pte. Harry Cotton Royal Canadian Regiment Inf., Died in Second South African War, Paardeberg, 1900.

7807 Pte. Harry Bell Montizambert, 2nd SS Bn. RCRI, ‘F’ Coy Québec. — Woodstock Hospital, 20th June, 1900. — Captain Pelletier (Major of the 65th Battalion) had a sunstroke at Paardeberg. He has been sent to England with one leg (the right) paralysed from toe to thigh, but the doctors told him that a month or two would fix him up as good as new. He had some narrow escapes. One bullet through his helmet, one through his collar, which cut the skin on his neck, and one through the heel of his boot. I think the first two are about as close as is pleasant. When I went to see him at the Clairmont Sanatorium I had a long talk with him and tried to cheer him up. I liked him very much, and I think ail of the Company did. All I have seen seem very sorry for him.

The Ottawa Citizen says: — Many of the older members of Parliament will recognize in the young soldier, whose gallant death is thus described, the fair-haired page of the House of Commons of former years, a general favourite among the members some ten or twelve years ago. Zachary Lewis was born and bred in Ottawa, the son of the late Dr. R.P. Lewis, a brother of the Archbishop of Ontario. He studied law for some years, but in 1896 joined the North-West Mounted Police at Regina, N.W.T., where he was stationed until recently. Having formerly served for three years in the Governor-General’s Foot Guards, and being in Ottawa on leave when the Royal Canadian Regiment was recruited, Truoper Lewis obtained permission to enlist in D Company, and so it was his lot to be the first of the North-West Mounted Police to thus fall in action on Imperial foreign service, a credit to his country, his city and his corps....................

Letter to Lieutenant-Colonel Ponton, of Belleville, Ont., Rev. F. C. Powell writes concerning a Montrealer: — On Friday I went to Wynberg Hospital and had some speech with Captain Peltier, of Montréal, who was with poor and brave Arnold when he was shot through the head — awfully disfigured, they tell me, but he was not killed. As the ambulance bearers were carrying him off the field he was shot again through the shoulder. Peltier and others say the Boers fired continuously on the ambulance. They could hardly plead excuse of not being able to distinguish the Red Cross..........

2nd SS Bn. R.C.R. First Contingent Returning To Canada From South African War, Toronto, King Street, 5th Nov., 1900.

7468 Pte. Harry Cotton, ‘D’ Coy Ottawa & Kingston, RCRI Killed in South Africa: — Harry Cotton, is a son of Lieutenant-Colonel Cotton, of the Militia Department Office, commanding the Ottawa district. He went away to South Africa as a member of D Company, first Canadian contingent. The late Mr. Cotton was about 23 years of age, and since 1895 has been in the service of the Bank of Montreal. He was an efficient and popular employee. He was quite an athlete, being a member of the Ottawa Football Club, and of the Ottawa Rowing Club. In the regatta at Brockville, last year, he was one of Ottawa’s four-oarded crew. In Kingston, where Mr. Cotton had previously been living, he was also identified with athletics. While stationed in Montréal he belonged to the Victoria Rifles, and with this corps gained his military experience. On going to the front with the first contingent he was granted a year’s leave of absence with full pay by the Bank of Montréal. He fell gallantly at Thaba N’Chu, on the 1st of May .

THK U FR YR TME.

C.U.

History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog
http://wp.me/55eja
Spañiard
Participating Member

Return to Canada 1837-1901