Canada Militia Rifleman - colorized studio portrait

For all discussions relating to military activities in Canada, 1837-1901.

Canada Militia Rifleman - colorized studio portrait

Postby GrantRCanada » 30 Sep 2015 07:36

Just yesterday, I downloaded some rather basic "photo colorization" software .... and for the heck of it present my first effort .... Rifleman Robert E. Hill, 3rd Battalion (Victoria Rifles), Montreal, c.1866, wearing the "Rifles" version of the Canadian Pattern 1863 uniform ....

GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Re: Canada Militia Rifleman - colorized studio portrait

Postby red25847 » 30 Sep 2015 20:57

Great job GrantRCanada!
It really gives us their true appearance.
red25847

Postby roconn » 04 Oct 2015 00:07

Grant
He had such nice shiny boots in the Before pic

roconn
roconn
Participating Member

Postby Dennis Ruhl » 13 Oct 2015 18:41

Something in the back of my mind. Do Rifles and gold buttons go together?
Dennis Ruhl

Postby GrantRCanada » 14 Oct 2015 06:04

Pattern 1863 Canadian Militia Rifles tunics (such as is worn by this chap) had metal buttons which were 'bronzed" .... that is what I was trying to impart here ....
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Spañiard » 14 Oct 2015 16:22

Mr. GRC got the colours right, dark green uniform and looks like bronze buttons to me.

Rifleman, Canadian Volunteer Militia, 1863-1870

Some units of the Canadian Volunteer Militia emulated the British rifle regiments, wearing a similar dark green uniform with bronze buttons and badges. Although all of the Volunteer units were armed with rifled muskets by the 1860s, the prestige and spirit of the rifle regiments remained an attraction to new recruits. This volunteer wears the full dress uniform authorized between 1863 and 1870. He carries the shorter 'two-band' pattern of 1853 model Enfield rifled musket issued to rifle and light infantry units. Reconstruction by Ron Volstad. (Canadian Department of National Defence)

C.U.
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog
http://wp.me/55eja
Spañiard
Participating Member

Postby GrantRCanada » 15 Oct 2015 03:11

The Volstad rendering posted by Spañiard depicts the very first version of the Pattern 1863 uniform acquired for the Canadian Militia, under the provisions of a new Militia Act, in which the government of the United Province of Upper and Lower Canada took on the responsibility for the first time of supplying uniforms for its Militia units. (Previously, uniforms were supplied by the units themselves, and varied widely in style, colours, etc.)

The initial batch acquired in the United Kingdom (manufactured by a contractor in Ireland, in fact) consisted of tunics and shakos only, with the trousers made in Canada in a dark grey for both Infantry and Rifles. However, all subsequent batches of uniforms were obtained with "British style" trousers - i.e. deep blue for Infantry and matching Rifle green for Rifles, both with red piping on the outside leg seams. By 1866 (the date of the colorized photograph) few - if any - of the original grey trousers would still have been in service.

The color tones of the Volstad rendering have always struck me as being "off".... here is a "color corrected" version after some judicious tonal tweaking -

GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Return to Canada 1837-1901