CHINA BOAT COATS

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Re: CHINA BOAT COATS

Postby BobsYourUncle » 19 Dec 2016 01:32

jf42 wrote:Peter, thanks. You may not have registered this, but your scan of the Barthorp page/pages has not uploaded.

However, in relation to yours and Bob's identification of those items at NAM, we may have to wait till next year when the musuem reopens its doors. It is possible to access some textual items via temporary outstations in London and Hertfordshire but I suspect these two, especially the Crealock album may not be available for examination outside the museum premises.

I have already viewed some items at the London History Centre, so I can see what the possibilities are. Given the date, I don't imagine an enquiry will bear much fruit before the New Year but I shall have a go.

Sounds great !! I would be VERY interested in what you could report about the Crealock sketches, or the photograph. I am putting together an Indian Mutiny reenacting impression of the 93rd, and others in our group are putting together impressions of other units in that conflict. I am sure that you would have happier hunting AFTER the NAM reopens...
BobsYourUncle

Postby Peter » 19 Dec 2016 13:07

Jf,

I’m more confused than usual.

I could see them then; I can see them now.

Mike Snook saw them then. Bobs can see them now.

But you can’t see them on your screen?

I’ve sent them to you separately.

Regards,
Peter

Postby jf42 » 19 Dec 2016 13:25

My apologies, Peter. I misidentfied Bob's first post, as the failure of the quotation function had obscured that this was a reference to your previous posts, and I took it to be from you with a new nugget..

alles klaar now.

Thanks again

JF
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby mike snook » 19 Dec 2016 18:22

Chaps

As far as I am aware most, if not all, of Crealock's stuff is from Sir Hugh Rose's Central India Campaign. I have seen quite a few but recollect them as mostly distant views of marching columns, with the troops clad in Home Service Dress - lots of red and blue.

As ever

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby jf42 » 19 Dec 2016 20:21

mike snook wrote:Chaps

As far as I am aware most, if not all, of Crealock's stuff is from Sir Hugh Rose's Central India Campaign. I have seen quite a few but recollect them as mostly distant views of marching columns, with the troops clad in Home Service Dress - lots of red and blue.

As ever

Mike

Well, Mike, the datalogue entry does refer to the 2nd China War as well, so there may be something to chew on.

Is this sketch by Crealock?

China 1860.jpeg
China 1860.jpeg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 232 times
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby mike snook » 20 Dec 2016 12:48

I think so, jf, looks like his style. Haven't seen that one before though. China and interesting.

As ever

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby jf42 » 23 Dec 2016 14:40

Of course, I don't seem to have a note of where I found this picture, and google image search won't play... pshaw.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby mike snook » 23 Dec 2016 17:17

jf, Looking at it again I have a feeling I have seen it before...it's not in one of those British Army on Campaign set of 3 or 4 done by Osprey perhaps? Didn't Michael Barthorp write them. I have definitely seen an Osprey colour plate of a man dressed like that carrying his shoes in his hand. Could be based on that sketch I'm guessing. And for some reason Queen's Regiment is coming into my mind. If you don't have them (I'm thinking you probably do), I can search 'em out here and check.

As ever

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby jf42 » 24 Dec 2016 12:52

Thanks Mike. Foundry have done a model of that figure too. I'll check it out once normal service resumes.
'Compliments,' &c

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-rang ... ollection/
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Previous

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59