Dhoti worn by loyal Bengal units?

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Dhoti worn by loyal Bengal units?

Postby WillieB » 25 Apr 2017 16:22

Perhaps a bit of a silly question but would loyal Bengal troops still be 'allowed' to wear a dhoti ( instead of trousers) when fighting against mutineers?
WillieB

Re: Dhoti worn by loyal Bengal units?

Postby Frogsmile » 25 Apr 2017 17:13

WillieB wrote:Perhaps a bit of a silly question but would loyal Bengal troops still be 'allowed' to wear a dhoti ( instead of trousers) when fighting against mutineers?

I don't think so Willie, as it would have been important for the loyal sepoys to be immediately identifiable as still under British discipline. I think that there may have been some relaxation of head dress, but with upper and nether garments as per regulation.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 26 Apr 2017 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby bill wright » 25 Apr 2017 21:45

A very interesting question which I have not researched. Might do so. But my gut feeling is while Frogsmile is right in theory, I think in certain situations they may well have been reduced to wearing dhotis. The conditions of the sieges of Lucknow and especially Cawnpore were so appalling that it seems to me this may have taken place in odd instances. In general terms, "No", in practice, "Possibly" would be my assessment.
bill wright

Postby Frogsmile » 26 Apr 2017 21:06

bill wright wrote:A very interesting question which I have not researched. Might do so. But my gut feeling is while Frogsmile is right in theory, I think in certain situations they may well have been reduced to wearing dhotis. The conditions of the sieges of Lucknow and especially Cawnpore were so appalling that it seems to me this may have taken place in odd instances. In general terms, "No", in practice, "Possibly" would be my assessment.

Yes, I agree, nothing was set in stone in the conditions then prevailing.
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby WillieB » 29 Apr 2017 15:49

Thanks very much guys!
WillieB

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59