Looking for India Mutiny books with 37th Regt. of Foot

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Looking for India Mutiny books with 37th Regt. of Foot

Postby Will Mathieson » 15 Apr 2017 02:06

I am looking for India Mutiny books detailing the 37th Regt. of Foot actions during the mutiny.
I am interested in info from mid 1857 onwards with the 37th Regt. and hopefully has Capt. Pelly.
This is to add history to a Wilkinson sword of Capt. Pellys. He was promoted to Maj. in 1862.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Re: Looking for India Mutiny books with 37th Regt. of Foot

Postby Maureene » 15 Apr 2017 14:59

I looked on the Ogilby Trust website book search http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/index.htm (located in top right hand corner) but couldn't see any thing specific listed for the Indian Mutiny for the 37th Regiment of Foot. You might need to look at a regimental history.

Alternatively, there might be something in one of the histories of the Indian Mutiny. For online books, there are many links on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Indian Mutiny.
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Indian_Mutiny

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby bill wright » 15 Apr 2017 15:48

I must back up Maurenee - looking in my copy of Heathcote`s "Mutiny & Insurgency In India 1857-59", which deals specifically with the British army on campaign, the index lists all the regiments involved but specifically omits any reference to H.M. 37th Foot ! Looking in my copies of Forrest`s monumental 3 vol history of the Mutiny + Kaye & Malleson`s 6 vol history (the latter having a whole index vol to itself), there is no mention of a "Pelly" serving in any part of the campaign nor any reference to the 37th, so I think you must be mistaken.
bill wright

Postby mike snook » 15 Apr 2017 16:40

Will,

HM 37th came in from Ceylon. Involved in disarming the Bengal regiments at Calcutta and then started up the Grand Trunk Rd, well behind Havelock and his column. Involved in a second disarming exercise if memory serves - possibly at Benares or Dinapore - more likely the latter as that was rather later...the affair that was fluffed by Major General Lloyd. What sticks in my mind is the involvement of a detachment, together with (top of the head), a detachment of HM 10th (I think),in the first disastrous attempt to relieve Arrah, where a small number of Euros and 50 Sikh police were besieged by Kunwar Singh, a local ruler, and Bengal mutineers - I think from Dinapore. It all went horribly wrong and resulted in ambush and disaster. I've mentioned this action here before I think, in the context of clothing, because everybody was wearing undyed white summer clothing and it was a night action. It really was a terrible disaster, with several hundred casualties and not that many survivors. Your man couldn't have been there, because as a captain he would have been at or near the top of the command hierarchy on that occasion and I would have remembered his name. He must at this juncture have been with other elements of the regt still on the lines of communication, or perhaps even yet to leave Ceylon. What HM 37th did after this does not immediately ring a bell; I cannot recollect any connection with the Lucknow campaign, up to the second relief (Campbell's), but would not rule it out in the period after that when a very large army was assembled there.

As ever

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Will Mathieson » 15 Apr 2017 17:04

I have found two write ups with the help of Jordan Gordon.

"Served in India in 1857-58 and was engaged with the Enemy at Atrowlea and Koelsa, mentioned in despatched, besieged in Azimgar and Sortie.Then proceeded with Brigadier Douglas' Column in pursuit of Koer-Singh and present in the actions of the 17th and 20th April 1858."

1857:
"...In mid-April a column from the recently relieved Lucknow under Brigadier Lugard attacked the rebels in the rear at the Jaunpore bridge. Kunwar Singh fled southwards towards the Ganges, pursued by two columns of British troops, including one comprised of 37th soldiers under Brigadier Douglas. This came up with the enemy at Natherpur on April 17. While artillery bombarded the rebels’ position, Douglas sent his infantry to turn their flank. The attack was completely successful. The 37th, led by Captain Raymond Pelly and Lieutenants John Collum and George Savage, rushed the position and captured a Colour of the mutinous 28th Bengal Regiment...."

"...The enemy made off hurriedly, but the pursuing British overtook them again on April 20 when crossing a river near Ghazipore. Despite being tired after a long march, Douglas’s men attacked vigorously, inflicting heavy casualties and seizing an artillery piece and many wagons and elephants. The rebels now dispersed and although Kunwar Singh reached the safety of the Jagdispur jungles he died shortly afterwards.
Douglas wrote enthusiastically of his men’s great marches. In five days, under a burning sun and on scanty rations, they had covered 120 miles. He strongly commended Captain Harrison, who commanded the 37th, whose losses totalled one killed and seven wounded.
The start of May found six companies in the Ghazipore district, hunting down dispersed rebels. However, by May 16 they had re-joined headquarters because of the number of deaths caused by heatstroke on the long marches.
From July, three companies under Captains Charles Luxmoore and Edward Burton took the field as part of a larger force charged with keeping the Grand Trunk Road open in the face of attacks by Kunwarde Singh’s brother, Anwar. In September some 70 of the 37th helped to round up 700 mutineers at Peroo, the sepoys being dislodged by the infantry and then hunted down by the cavalry who had outflanked them.
During October and November, Douglas carried out a wide sweeping movement through the area between the River Ganges and the River Soane. A column which included Captain Luxmoore’s three companies stormed a rebel detachment at Nonadee village, routing the mutineers for the loss of one man killed and four wounded
In mid-December, a company of the 37th, supported by men of the 29th, outflanked and dispersed a strong enemy position near the Bugha Maroo Pass in the Kaimur Hills. Luxmoore was highly commended for the manner in which he led his troops.
In April 1859, the regiment returned to Ghazipore where it remained for the remainder of the year, ensuring that the peace deal struck the previous year held. It was a difficult posting, with large numbers of men suffering ill health. The numbers sick never fell below 100 in 1859 and often exceeded 150. Fifty men died and another 50 were invalided. Things only improved when the regiment was moved to the Rajmahal Hills, 3,000ft above sea level, in September 1860."
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby mike snook » 15 Apr 2017 17:10

Will,

In March 1858 Colonel Milman of HM 37th was defeated bu Kunwar Singh (also rendered as Koer Singh) near Azimgarh. As I understand it he had 200-300 of his regiment with him (a wing?), so there would be a broadly 50% chance that your man was present. Milman might be worth a google. Try also the Kunwar feller - also Azimgarh Field Force and Sir Edward Lugard and Lord Mark Kerr, all of whom were there or roundabout.

As ever

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby mike snook » 15 Apr 2017 17:11

Ah you're onto it. Good.
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby Will Mathieson » 15 Apr 2017 18:18

I should add photos of his sword though he didn't get this sword until 1862. One of the India Mutiny veterans who didn't order a special sword with options like a steel guard or solid blade. He ordered a regulation infantry 1854p with medium blade.
Attachments
101_1627.jpg
101_1627.jpg (70.67 KiB) Viewed 179 times
101_1624.jpg
101_1624.jpg (146.44 KiB) Viewed 179 times
101_1622.jpg
101_1622.jpg (73.9 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59