Records of India Mutiny G.H.D. Gimlette

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Records of India Mutiny G.H.D. Gimlette

Postby Annapolis » 21 Sep 2016 05:53

This is a question/request to anyone who may have access to "Postscript to the Records of the Indian Mutiny." It has been noted in the VWF as a good source for the story (and ultimate fate) of mutinying regiments. I'm very interested in what became of the 54th Bengal Native Infantry. It mutinied in Delhi on 11 May 1857.

For those who have the book, might you tell me if it offers any information about the 54th? The book is rather expensive; so before I order a copy I thought it best to see if it is worth it (apart from being an excellent reference source).

The background of my interest in the 54th is an EIC Pattern E Percussion Musket (.75 Cal) in my collection. The inspection & proof marks on the lock plate and barrel date it to 1843/44. The stock marks are quite distinct. There is a splendid crown surmounting "54" and below that is "1845". With the help of Bill Curtis and many others, I've learned that the 54th was destroyed in Afghanistan in 1841/2 and then re-equiped with flintlocks. But orders were given in about June 1845 for them to be issued with percussion arms from the Ferozepore Magazine. So, I'm comfortable believing it most likely that the musket was in the ranks of the 54th when it mutinied 12 years later. What became of the regiment will offer a way to approach the musket's subsequent travels.

Help along any of these lines would be welcome! Annapolis
Annapolis

Re: Records of India Mutiny G.H.D. Gimlette

Postby Maureene » 21 Sep 2016 10:30

This book is available online to download as a free pdf, Digital Library of India
A Postscript To The Records Of The Indian Mutiny
http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/handle/2015/173458

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Re: Records of India Mutiny G.H.D. Gimlette

Postby Annapolis » 21 Sep 2016 13:16

Maureen: thanks ever so much. I followed the link to the text. And found the pages on the 54th. Although the entry is short, it pushes me a little further along. I've decided to get the book for the wonderful anecdotal accounts of other units and the general sociology (a big word, but I cannot think of another now) and ebb and flow of the revolt. Annapolis
Annapolis

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59